Attaching Curtain Rail Batten to Ceiling Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope someone might be able to help.

I am trying to fix 3 x wooden battens to the ceiling of a bay window of a house built circa 1925. Above the ceiling is the outside, small sloping tiled roof. As i understand this may be a lath & plaster ceiling and not a standard one.

The ceiling sounds hollow and slightly lifts when i push upwards at the edges. The bay window is in a rectangle shape so i need battens fixing left, right, centre.

After doing some initial research i opted to use some self screw plasterboard anchor fixings. Starting on the left (when looking out of the window) these went in find and i have a good fixing now/

Next i tried the right. This side is nearest to the the front door (if thats relevant. However, my two attempts to get the anchor in failed, it didnt grab and just starting pushing out the contents of the ceiling into my face. I tried nearest to the window and furtherest awar. It seems like there is some kind of resistance stopping the screw penetrating. I did push a drill bit in and it sounded a little like metal or tin.

My next option would be to use something like no more nails, but i'm unsure as to whether this would support the weight of large velvet curtains. The curtains would sit on the side, unless pulled across to the centre on the new proposed curtain rail.

So my question is, can anyone advise or recommend alternative other fixings or solutions. Should i attempt to drill into the resistance and see if i can get a hole through? Or should i just go with no more nails on this side and the centre?

Thanks in advance

(complete amateur DIY'er as you can tell)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back