Finish Coat - Plastic Float?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, here's a skim method I saw used today (to rather good effect, I must say). Skim coat applied with a steel trowel. Roughly levelled at the same time but not too seriously. Left to go off for a while, then gone over with a plastic float, with troughs filled at this stage with the float, until complete surface is all rough finish but no hollows. Then trowelled back over with the steel quite easily - completely flat and polished shortly afterwards with steel and water spray, no stiff brush. Any thoughts jb et al? Never heard of a plastic float used in all relevant threads thus far?

Sponsored Links
keyplayer said:
Ok, here's a skim method I saw used today (to rather good effect, I must say). Skim coat applied with a steel trowel. Roughly levelled at the same time but not too seriously. Left to go off for a while, then gone over with a plastic float, with troughs filled at this stage with the float, until complete surface is all rough finish but no hollows. Then trowelled back over with the steel quite easily - completely flat and polished shortly afterwards with steel and water spray, no stiff brush. Any thoughts jb et al? Never heard of a plastic float used in all relevant threads thus far?

Pointless unless you use it on your final trowel to give a polish ;)

Sponsored Links
Was it a sponge float? Plastic on the handle but sponge on the face. we are talking plaster aren't we.

iaith said:
Was it a sponge float? Plastic on the handle but sponge on the face. we are talking plaster aren't we.

Its used to rub up render and to sponge certain types of finish to bring up the fat, like knauf finish/one coat: ;)

Thanks to all. No, it wasn't a sponge float, just a plastic one. (what would a spread use this for then?) I've never used this plasterer before, my usual one is unavailable, but I had no problem paying him - he did a good job. ie skimming over an artex ceiling. His opinion was that it was easier to level over artex with a float.

seriously now ...if you don`t mind divulging.....the size of the ceiling and the £ to skim it :?:

keyplayer said:
Thanks to all. No, it wasn't a sponge float, just a plastic one. (what would a spread use this for then?) I've never used this plasterer before, my usual one is unavailable, but I had no problem paying him - he did a good job. ie skimming over an artex ceiling. His opinion was that it was easier to level over artex with a float.

I misread your earlier post and thought you meant going over with plastic but you meant a float. Ive not seen anyone do that for years is he an old boy? he is right it is used in the way he said it flattens the ceiling and fills in any hollows and especially on an artex ceiling. ;)

Nige F said:
seriously now ...if you don`t mind divulging.....the size of the ceiling and the £ to skim it :?:

1.5m by 4m - less than a day, £120.

jb, yes he is quite old, did it as a favour really as normal plasterers are on another big job. I think he's one of their uncles or something. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back