Skimming advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I skimmed a small area a couple of weeks ago for the first time. I put a mist coat on yesterday and to be honest its looking a bit of a mess in some areas. There are scratches from the trowel and other imperfections. I applied 2 coats of multi-finish, the 2nd coat I tried to get it smooth as I could. I then left it for a few minutes then went over it flicking a wet brush on it trying to remove the marks but its not smooth all over. Now I'm not looking for perfection just a smooth-ish surface so when painted it look semi decent.

I've read articles on the net about different stages but am a bit confused. So can people help me, give me advice and tips? This is what I think I should be doing:

1. apply 1st coat - doesn't have to be smooth
2. apply 2nd coat - try and get as smooth as possible
3. leave it for a certain time? until the plaster is firm/nearly dried?
4. run trowel over and get rid of marks and imperfections
5. leave again for so long? then polish?

This is only what I think from reading different articles. So can you let me know if this is right or wrong and add if necessary :D

Thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
Your leaving it too long period.

The whole "set" should take an hour and half or so from start to finish.

Put the first coat on, then the second, then trowel straight away, i would then only wait 10 or 15 mins ( as your new ) then trowel again, same again 10 or 15 min, trowel again.....if you want a timeline.

first 15 mins first coat ( or how long it takes you )

wait 5 mins

Next 15 mins second coat ( S.A.A )

trowel

wait 10-15 min

trowel

wait 10-15 min trowel

trowel.

wait 20 minutes trowel ( should be quite firm now )

Now if you think its flat ( you would have felt with your trowel, and you have eyes ) now you can wait half hour or so, trowel again.

Then if you want to polish it ( i dont bother as itll get painted a few days later )

wait an hour or so till its going dark brown, then run your trowel over it, and it will leave a shine.

Plasterers dont have to trowel as much as we know what were doing, but for a novice, if in doubt, keep troweling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back