Finish for green oak fire surround

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've built a fire surround from green oak and it's nearly finished - just a bit more planing and sanding to go. My question is what would you recommend as the finish. I want to keep it as light colour as possible and obviously it needs to breath in order to keep seasoning - or is it better to seal to reduce the cracking? I was thinking an oil/wax finish but not sure how these will respond to the moisture from behind. I'd be very grateful for any suggestions - esp would you recommend sealing the knots?

fireplace_2.jpg

fireplace_1.jpg

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I did one something similar a few years ago and used danish teak oil, still looks good.

Thanks for your reply, was that seasoned or "green oak"?

It was seasoned, but what makes you think that yours is "green oak",
There is a lot of confusion even in the trade on the definition.
If the tree was converted more than 18 months ago it can be classed as seasoned.
Beyond this there are various methods of seasoned oak.
Kiln dried , dutch barn, etc.

Sponsored Links
ok, it may not be green. But since I've cut it up it has moved considerably and is wet inside when I cut a 25mm slice from one side. It's definitely still drying out - Is teak oil still a good finish? I appreciate your advice, don't want to spoil it, quite pleased so far!

Will

Right! I've been looking into it a little more and teak oil is not recommended for oak - can't see why but thats the liberon statement? Ideally I want the finish as white/pale as possible, oils will darken and make a more golden finish which I would prefer to avoid. Would waxing give a lighter colour finish?

I'd leave it to dry for a couple of years before putting a finish on if you can actually see it's wet. You might be able to get a liming wax, or by applying the lime first to keep it pale, but generally all waxes and oils will make it darker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back