Finishing around a vertical boiler flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a Neta-tec boiler installed a couple of years ago, with a vertical flue though an (accessible) roof void, and the hole in the ceiling was cut a little large.

I'm now coming to refit my utility room, and want to make good the ceiling around the flue, but I am a little confused by how close I can close up the gap to the flue.

Looking at the installation manual, it says the hole diameter through the plasterboard should be at least 116mm, which is larger than the flue. Does this mean that the flue needs to be clear of plaster and plaster board? If so, is there a ceiling finisher that can be purchased?

I want to do something as at the moment, it's a bit of a heat escape path!

Cheers in advance,

Ian

Sponsored Links
If you have access above the ceiling, Cut a hole in some plasterboard 110 mm diameter , then cut this in half and stick it with bonding plster around the flu above the ceiling, let it go off then use bonding plaster to fill the gap on the inside ceiling leaving about 1 to 2 mm lip then finish with finishing plaster.
You dont need a gap around the outer tube flu, the extra size hole just makes it easier to fit the flu.

If you have access above the ceiling, Cut a hole in some plasterboard 110 mm diameter , then cut this in half and stick it with bonding plster around the flu above the ceiling, let it go off then use bonding plaster to fill the gap on the inside ceiling leaving about 1 to 2 mm lip then finish with finishing plaster.
You dont need a gap around the outer tube flu, the extra size hole just makes it easier to fit the flu.

Cheers for the quick reply. Just to ensure I have understood correctly;

The plasterboard needs a clearance to the flue, but plaster (either finishing or bonding) can touch it. Or is it that as the extra hole makes it easier to fit the flue, the plaster board could be cut to size and sit flush to the flue?

The lip is then so the finishing skim can be applied level with the existing ceiling.

Finally, I take it filler would be ok to use to fill the gap instead of the bonding plaster? I've got a tub of deep gap filler, and ideally would like to avoid having to buy a whole bag of plaster for the job. Plus I've got some adhesive left over from another job which I could use to attach the plaster.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back