Finishing false chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a false chimney breast constructed to house TV, fire, etc. It's faced with split face slate tiles and I'm getting to the stage that the apertures for the TV and Sky box, etc, need finishing. I want to have these apertures skimmed and painted, but I'm struggling to figure-out how the openings should be tackled. Also, whether to leave the edges of the split face tiles visible, or cover them with something. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20160113_113922.jpg
    IMG_20160113_113922.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20160113_113937.jpg
    IMG_20160113_113937.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I've spent quite a bit of time studying your pictures more so than usual this is another job where not a lot of thought has gone into it if you want to have those rough tiles the best thing would be to have the reveals sticking out and have the tiles butted up to them, then cut 4 of strips of plasterboard attatch them to the edges of the plasterboard so it now looks like tiles are going behind then cut further strips for the edges so now the edges of tiles are completely encased then dryline or skim , if you have room you can still do it reline reveals with slightly longer boards and follow instructions above

Not much you can do with that tbh just skimming inside and leaving tiles like that will look awful I'm having second thoughts about my solution now

I think that the revels and corners should of been done when it was tiled. I think its too late now to try and finish the returns. Maybe someone can come up with an idea !! I would of bought the returns in with the tiles so it would of had nice plumb revels or finished the tiles plumb and skimmed inside the revels. Can you post a pic of how the right hand side return was finished?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back