How would you board this chimney breast? Technical Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a thumbnail of our chimney breast as it currently stands:
Photo 11-01-2016, 10 38 58 pm.jpg

We have had quite a damp problem in our living room & so the walls have all been tanked to 1.5mtr, including the sides, face and recess of chimney breast. On top of this has been Renderlite (http://www.sovchem.co.uk/renderlite-25k.html) applied. The other walls have then been boarded & skimmed.

So obviously we can't have any exposed brickwork.

We were in touch with the company who will be installing the log burner & while we've plenty vertical room & plenty of width, we're limited on depth. As such he recommended leaving the renderlite as is & just painting this. Smoothing off anything that isn't too smooth & they'll be boarding the rest (face of chimney breast & sides also).

All sounded fine to me but then i wondered how they would get on as the edge of a plasterboard would meet the side of the recess - which wouldn't be getting boarded. Surely you'd then have skim/angle bead on show.

Photo 11-01-2016, 10 37 58 pm.jpg

So that face of the chimney breast would have board applied to it but the side of the recess (if we go down the advised route) wouldn't be boarded at all. But surely you'd have bead showing?

In short i'm just wondering how you'd apply board to the face (but not side wall of recess) & have it finished well so you don't see the edge of the board sticking out.

Photo 11-01-2016, 10 38 37 pm.jpg

I also wondered about the lintel also - same issue. How you'd tidy up the edge of the plasterboard as it gets to the bottom of that lintel.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I notice on that link they do a renderlite finish you might as well use that on the inside it will only add a couple of mm and u can use beads you will still have to level everything off though, to go with what they are proposing is not ideal if leaving inside as is looks like they have just painted it on, you could have boarded outside walls first and used the boards as a hard edge to rule off and get everything plumb looks like not a lot of effort or thinking has been used

The fire installer was unsure how much space would be eaten with all the tanking work but now that it's finished he can see better what he has to work with.

The Renderlite plaster was applied rough throughout. This didn't matter since nowhere else was it a finish (& wasn't going to be here either). It was simply boarded over elsewhere.

We were initially told by the fire installer to get as far as the photos show & then he would take care of the rest.
It now turns out he'd get his own plasterer in to finish it off ready for him to install the fire. If we'd have known that we would've had it done already.

But that's all irrelevant. What's happened has happened & we need to deal with what we've got.

The Renderlite finish would add on more work/time/cost. If we can get away without it then great but if not....

So still wondering about that boarding.

As I said not a lot of thought has gone into that fireplace and u have just confirmed it "well" it didn't need confirming title of thread reads how would u board it and I've told you how I would have done it if no one can be @rsed to do put a good finish on it I'm not going to waste anymore time in this thread at the end of the day let the spread or fitter sort it out its their job after all

Sponsored Links
Just re-read your post.

Yes, of course it was 'painted on'. They never thought it would be the finish so it didn't matter if it was smooth or not. It wasn't elsewhere on the walls.

Yes it has been poorly organised but when you're lead to believe XYZ will happen & it doesn't....

I have just reread your post as well and maybe you have mistaken what the fitter has said? You say you have plenty of vertical room and width but limited on depth? So depth being from front to back not side to side? So if that's the case he may have been talking about not boarding the back? As far as I know you have height how tall ,width how wide aaannd depth front to back

Well whatever the misunderstanding, someone has not 'got' someone else that is quite clear.

The fire fitter has been out & seen it but at that stage it was still all bricked up & he just removed the gas fire. We was told to allow those doing the damp work to knock it all out back to the rear wall, let them tank it & put that renderlite on it & then he said to stop them there as he would take over.
He at this stage voiced concerns about the depth (yes, front to back) & talked about bends on the flue/liner (i get the terms wrong all the time) & invalidating warranties because of a certain degree of bend.

So we stopped the guys from boarding. Then the fire fitter says it needs boarding before he fits the fire & he can either get someone he knows to do it or we can get our guys to do it. I specifically asked at the time how much he wants leaving & he said just leave the entire chimney breast - sides included.

I think with saying leave the renderlite finish (that is the finish as it is, not the product Renderlite FINISH) as it currently stands, he was offering a 'rough look' to the sides (i'm guessing here. Plus he hasn't actually seen it as it currently stands - the discussion was over the phone between him & my wife).

I will get in touch with our guys who are doing it & ask for that Renderlite FINISH (blue bag) to be applied & just have the whole thing done.

Well the renderlite finish is not heatproof you might as well be using normal skim I'm sure the result will be the same as long as clearance is there

Last edited:
We were on the phone directly to Sovereign for that very reason. Told them that there will be minimal clearance, if any at all at the rear & asked whether the renderlite would be suitable or whether it needs boarding out with something like viroc board or whatever.

They said the renderlite would be fine in this instance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back