Finishing small irregular wall area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've been boarding, taping & jointing a small room, using easifill for the jointing & filling. I'm pretty comfortable with that, but am wondering how to finish a small (~1m2) area of curved wall (see pics below). It's got a sand & cement finish, with some kind of tanking on top. What should I use to achieve a smooth (not flat) finish? Can I just go to town with my new easifill skills?

Thanks a lot,
Adam

Sponsored Links
Do you want to keep the curved look?

If not just board straight up and finish off with a windowsill on top

Yes, keep the curved look. I'd actually done exactly as you suggest, but it took away too much space, and didn't quite look right. So on to plan B!

Sponsored Links
Based on what I see and it possibly being tanked I would avoid fixing through this 'membrane'. I'd suggest just lining it with 50mm stud (as you won't need to penetrate the existing) with a 12.5mm plasterboard. For such a small area I'd use Duplex board as the extra expense is not worth considering for the higher spec. Find the 'high spot' and you'd lose less than 70mm off the room.

If space is at a premium you could equally use Gyp-Liner to reduce this down to as little as 30mm, as the height (I'm guessing from pic) shouldn't require fixing into the existing wall but the head will possibly need to be 'tied in' to the window sill for integrity.

Thanks for the reply Fenny. I'm looking for a solid, not lined solution. I'm not actually that bothered about puncturing the membrane as it was only put on for "belt & braces" because it's a solid external wall.

For the sake of completeness... I ended up finding some old P82 2-part tiling primer in my garage and slapped that on to give a key & then carried on merrily with a couple of coats of easifill. It's been on a couple of months and is looking good so far (not painted yet). I guess it might not be that hard-wearing, long-term, but given it's pretty small & accessible I'm happy to run the risk of having to re-do it some other way if anything goes wrong in due course.

Adam

Attachments

• 2020-02-13 14.11.05.jpg
    2020-02-13 14.11.05.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 206
  • 2020-06-15 22.17.20.jpg
    2020-06-15 22.17.20.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 193

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back