Fire door seal and extractor fans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. Just done some work and the building inspector has told me that the fire door from the utility room to the garage has to be fully sealed. An intumescent strip has been sunk into all 3 sides of the door but obvioulsy not around the lock or the hinges. Any ideas?
2. Have had a small extension built on back of house, ground floor only. the kitchen is now fully surrounded by the living room on 2 sides, a utility room and the small extension. the Inspector has said a kitchen extract fan is to be ducted to external air. Alternately, an additional extractor fan is to be provided minimum 60l/second. Where can the air be extracted to ?
3. High Level roof ventilation is to be provided. Not sure if this is anything to do with th recent buidling works.
4. No i was not there at the time of the inspectors visit otherwise I would have asked him.
Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
1: Its standard regs to have a smoke seal on an internal garage door, something like this will do: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/21592...-Fire-Smoke-Seal-Platinum-10-x-4mm-Pack-of-5#
2: If there are no external walls you will either have to duct it through the roof and through a tile vent or above or below the ceiling through another room to exit through an external wall. Again completely normal regs.
3: Is it a pitched roof above the extension and presumably it is felt beneath the tiles and not a breathable membrane? If so he is presumably asking for ventilation of the roof space at the ridge. Again standard regs and essential. If it is not that you will have to speak with him and ask him to elaborate.

Thanks Freddy. still not entirely clear on the fire door strip though. Does a new, small channel have to be cut around the hinges and the lock on the door to the garage now then? the strip has already been fitted but stopped and started again around the hinges & Locks

Sponsored Links
Hi, the info i was given is "Fire door is to be fully sealed around the opening from the garage" as the strip stopped then started around the hinges and locks then I can only presume at this stage that they will need to be fitted continuously. Am working away and haven't been at the house for some time.

Normally a 30 minute fire door can have breaks in the intumescent strip for hinges and latches/locks but a 60 minute door is different.

Is it a 30 or 60 minute fire door?

Not sure now and am obviously a little concerned at the possibility of having to replace an expensive fire door if the strip is put on with breaks in a 60 minute fire door. if this is the case, do you know a way around it?

I'm sure it is ok to fit intumescent sheet/pads behind hinges and latch or lock keepers as the strip can't actually be fitted across hinges or locks anyway.

It's a pity you couldn't meet the BCO on site as he/she could probably have explained the alternatives.

There is a lot of info on the web but if you need anything in particular put your email contact in your profile and I'll send what I can. :)

It should only need to be a 1/2 hr door, you would not normally have a continuous strip as pointed out already you cannot because of the hinges. Your BC officer is talking a load of poo or the communications between you have broken down somewhere.

Hi, the info i was given is "Fire door is to be fully sealed around the opening from the garage" as the strip stopped then started around the hinges and locks then I can only presume at this stage that they will need to be fitted continuously. Am working away and haven't been at the house for some time.

Could he mean sealing around the frame/wall opening with fire resistant mastic?

It should only need to be a 1/2 hr door, you would not normally have a continuous strip as pointed out already you cannot because of the hinges. Your BC officer is talking a load of poo or the communications between you have broken down somewhere.
Agree with fmt. Due to the thickness of the door set, continuous strips can only be achieved on fd60,s and by the sounds of it a fd 30 is all that you require.Or have you only got the intumescent strip installed but no smoke seal?

The door between the garage and the existing house only needs to be an FD20 but I'm pretty sure you can no longer buy FD20's so an FD30 would have to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back