Wood burner and extractor in same room??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just need some advice on clearing my situation up.

Im in the process of doing a rear extension and making downstairs all open plan (but leaving the hall with the stair case in for fire route), so it will be lounge, dining room and kitchen. The room will be 45 sq m of floor space. The wood burner needs extra ventilation of 65cm sq. The room will have openable windows, trickle vents in bi-folding doors, openable bi-folding doors.

Ive read that buiding regs require a extractor fan to be fitted in a new kitchen in an extension? Mechanical extraction is the wording i think it uses?

Then ive read i should avoid fitting a wood burning stove in the same room as a extractor fan?

So is there no way round this?

Im a gas safe engineer so i understand what an extractor fan in operation can do to a spillage test. When testing gas fire's we have to run all extractor fans in the house when testing and if it passes its ok.

Sponsored Links
Building regs require an extraction fan but you do not need to switch it on!
I find it strange that if a fan is fitted and needs additional air intakes to suit the heat source then that somewhat defeats the object of saving energy.

Building regs require an extraction fan but you do not need to switch it on!
I find it strange that if a fan is fitted and needs additional air intakes to suit the heat source then that somewhat defeats the object of saving energy.

I won't be using the extractor fan as the food we cook doesn't smell but BC require an extractor to be fitted above the hob even though we don't want one.

The additional ventilation is for the log burner as it will be over 5kw but I will be ducting it to the back of the woodburner or very close to it, that way a draft won't be felt but will make the flue pull better.

Sponsored Links
hi

I'm thinking of doing the same as you, knock through Kitchen Dine, back boiler stove etc.
I was told you can't have an extractor in the same room as there is chance it could start drawing smoke back into the room from a weak/dieing fire.

It was mentioned a recirculating might be ok.

I'm hoping to not install one of my new kitchen as I never use one, interested to hear that you have to have one.

Update.

Speaking to building control and a hetas installer about this installation.

You do have to fit an extractor to external when fitting a new kitchen and building control know about it the way round it is to fit a drimiser system.

Other ways are to fit a extractor to external but then fit a stove that has a direct air intake into the back of the stove, a spillage test has to be passed when the extractor is in fully operation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back