Room sealed wood stove in new kitchen ...

21 Oct 2012
Reaction score
Tyne and Wear
United Kingdom
I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere ...

I'm having a new open plan kitchen /living area extension built.

Building regs say I need mechanical extraction in the kitchen part.

They also say I can't have an open-flue stove in the same room as said mechanical extractor.

What I can't find is can I get a room sealed type stove and be a) compliant with regs and b) safe ...

I see lots of posts about you can't have a stove in a room with a fan but it's not clear to me given the regs talk about open-flue and room sealed but only seem to specifically rule out using open flue in this scenario.

Anyone know the answer ??

Thanks from a first time poster ;)
Sponsored Links
I Cannot be certain of your LA but I have just had an extension built and the spec was for a fan in the kitchen. We use an oil fired range for cooking and heating and the instructions for this specifically state that mechanical extraction in the same room must not be used and an air intake to outside must be provided. I put a vent in the floor under the kitchen units and showed the cooker spec to the BI who approved it. If you think about it a 6" flue with a suitable air inlet is better than any fan.
You'll probably find you get more of a response if you post the question at - under WoodBurning catagory.

There are quite a number of experienced and knowledgably peps on there, who have come across most stove install situations, and should be able to give you some advice.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local