wood stove distance to combustibles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive got a wood stove, already installed by previous owner with a copy of the hetas cert.

I want to make a minor change to the surround in that i want to lower the wooden beam that sits above the fire place so that ive got a bit more space on the wall to hang a TV

Im trying some definitive info on the what the minimum distance between the beam and the stove top can be but it seems a bit of a grey area

Ive got a copy of the building regs part J which sets out the minimum rear, and side distances to combustibles and also the distance to the flue pipe but it doesn't have anything for the distance between the stove top and the wood beam. Does any one know what the actual regulation should be for this dimension or where i can find this?

The best i could find was this resource which states an average distance of 450mm for dimension A shown below. That seems to be dependent on the stove and is not defined anywhere in the regs it also doesnt mention the use of shielding to reduce the distance.
1705244844258.png

Im my particular situation the stove does not sit directly below the beam as the stove is recessed so its more like the right hand image pictured above so im wondering if dimension A is even relevant for me and only take dimension B as the governing dimension

(Dimension B must be 3 times the flue pipe diameter or reduced to 1.5 if i fit a compliant heat shield.)

Any stove fitters on here able to clarify my questions?

Attachments

• 1705244817929.png
    1705244817929.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 22
Sponsored Links
Google the stove , distance varies according to stove performance and design .
I wouldn’t recommend hanging a TV over an active fireplace.

Found the manual online for the stove but its still not very clear.

Thought there would be some kind of industry standard for this given the amount of other detail included in part J of the regs.

Managed to find a tecnhical details contact so will contact them in the hope they can confirm.

Out of interest and given the clearance seems to be stove specific,
Does anyone know What/how are building control/hetas are validating the minimum clearance gets met in each case they need to sign off? Guessing they don't have access/time to look up the details and overhead clearance of every stove they check. And they don't seem to specify a distance to the stove top in their documentation.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
IIRC it’s 300mm

And don’t put a tv above the fireplace as I don’t think it’s a good idea

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back