Stove distance to combustibles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings,

Im installing a free standing westfire uniq21 wood stove - going through labc. I have my copy of part J and am adhering to the regs. The only thing i dont quite comprehend is the distance to combustibles..this being 175mm at the rear and 300mm at the sides of the stove.
The stove is going to be standing 275mm away from a combustable (plasterboard) wall...thats fine its 100mm over the minimum. BUT !! its within the 300mm minimum distance as measured from part of the side of the stove.

Now why dont they just say 300mm distance to combustibles for sides and rear????... OR am i missing something ??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I really don't think plasterboard will be classed as combustible even if not the red stuff but it may crumble with the radiated heat.

If in doubt refer to the MI's.
Stratford for example recommend 450mm from the appliance and any combustable materials. So thats every side.

Was in a house the other night where the guy has diyed his own stove.
An open fire was in place before and he stuck the stove straight into the space left by the fire. Sits tight on all sides. You couldn't even put your fingers in the space.
Though its probably blockwork on the sides. :rolleyes:
Register plate fitted? Probably not. :rolleyes:
Carbon monoxide alarm? Nope. Well he has a 6 year old lad and 6 month old ba girl in a tightly sealed house. :rolleyes:
There all still living though. Going back tomorrow to fit the pipework for the rad in his extension. :rolleyes:

If in doubt refer to the MI's.
Stratford for example recommend 450mm from the appliance and any combustable materials. So thats every side.

Was in a house the other night where the guy has diyed his own stove.
An open fire was in place before and he stuck the stove into the space left by the fire. Sits tight on all sides. You couldn't even put your fingers in the space.
Though its probably blockwork on the sides. :rolleyes:
Register plate fitted? Probably not. :rolleyes:
Carbon monoxide alarm? Nope. Well he has a 6 year old lad and 6 month old ba girl in a tightly sealed house. :rolleyes:
There all still living though. Going back tomorrow to fit the pipework for the rad in his extension. :rolleyes:
:eek: I'm wondering if it's up to us to report it?

Sponsored Links
OOh and no building control either as his extension was passed on the original plans. :rolleyes:
Another new stove in there which seems to be his builder doing the install. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back