Fire doors/alarms & multi-storey houses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may well have been covered, but until they get the search working, I can't look and see...

I know that if you have a loft conversion done on a 2-storey house you need to have fire doors and linked alarms etc.

Am I right in thinking that doesn't apply if there's no habitable room?

If all you do is put in a staircase to make access to the loft easier, have you created a multi-storey house?

Sponsored Links
Afaik.....the stairs must be "a ladder".Btw. there are combined hatches/ladder/surround for £100.00 @ some merchant`s now :eek:

ban-all-sheds said:
This may well have been covered, but until they get the search working, I can't look and see...

I know that if you have a loft conversion done on a 2-storey house you need to have fire doors and linked alarms etc.

If all you do is put in a staircase to make access to the loft easier, have you created a multi-storey house?

As far as I know any room in a dwelling is a habitable room, unless it is a hallway providing access to a habitable room, or a bathroom.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
Not always and it depends what you're planning to do. I have no fire doors or alarm in my loft conversion
Best thing to do is to pop down to your BCO with a rough drawing and they will give you the answers straight away which is free advice.
Depends, I have fitted a few spiral staircase for people who don't like using loft ladders with a door on top into the loft.

BAS

you don't need fire doors, what you would need are door closers on every door which is classed as habitable, as in kitchen sitting rooms bed rooms.nohabitable rooms toilets, bathrooms don't need door closers fitted

If you get a loft conversion done, the doors in the conversion are the only doors which should be 1/2 hour fire doors, ( fitted with a door closer ).
habitable only.

Smoke alarms on every level, ground,first,loft stair well.

OK - thanks for all the (conflicting :confused: ) replies - a chat with BCO is probably best.

Just to make it clear, no conversion work is being done to the loft.

None.

Nada.

Zip.

Just a fixed staircase to replace use of loft ladder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back