Bungalow loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking for advice on Building Regulations covering loft conversions in bungalows, in particular, the rules for staircases. If the staircase is to go up from the living room, does it have to be enclosed in some way? For example would it be OK to have an open staircase leading directly up from the living room to a single habitable room above, without a door at the top?

Thanks
Daisy

Sponsored Links
Yes providing you have a fire escape velux window or dormer window so the fireman can reach you 1m from the gutter level. The reason is, if the fire started in the lounge you can not escape downstairs. If you have a staircase in the hall area then you don't have to have a fire escape window. You can have a door at the top if you want to, the benefit would be saving heat loss from downstairs heating.

masona said:
Yes providing you have a fire escape velux window or dormer window so the fireman can reach you 1m from the gutter level.

The distance from gutter to window edge can be different on bungalows and houses, the main concern in this case would be the hight of the window cill. In our conversion the planning officer was more concerned with the cill hight as it was less than 650mm if using the 1mtr rule from gutter, this would allow anyone to easily fall out. Because of this our Velux windows are 1.7mtrs from gutter, and have been passed by the BRO. There are also other factors to consider, such as the pitch of roof, access to roof.

Sponsored Links
Mine has to be 1m from gutter level, like you say others factors kick in.

Do you have fire escape velux window ? if so do you know how to tighten the spring tension on the side ? On slighty heavy wind it shut down when in open position.

Hi masona

Have loocked through my Velux paperwork and could find no info on spring adjustment, the only thing I found was for the angle of opening, which is also on a label on the frame.

The only way is to contact Velux Service Dept on: 01592 772211, unless there are some fitters out there willing to advise.

Thanks for looking, when I get the time I might take it all apart and then you can tell me how to put it back together again :LOL:

I have rang them last year and they will not advise unless they do it, trouble was they wanted £110 + VAT for servicing each window. I have 5 Velux windows !

£646.25 :cry:

£646.25 Thats painfull. :eek:

Had mine fitted for me, so i'm not much help there.

So much fo customer service, bet they didn't tell you that when you bought them. :(

I fitted them all but you would've thought they give me discount for 5 windows. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back