Loft Staircase location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Thinking of doing a loft conversion and have this gorgeous large window in the middle of the existing landing bringing in much needed westerly light. I’m worried that putting in a loft staircase will completely cover this window as it is essential for brightening my north facing home.

Happy to sacrifice our front box room which is on the correct side of the house to accommodate the staircase but not happy to get rid of the window.

Any tradesperson who can offer any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It's rare that a new flight can fit over an existing flight in a typical conversion.

It's rare that a new flight can fit over an existing flight in a typical conversion.
Beg to differ; over the existing staircase is often the ideal position to save space and is not normally a problem.

Sponsored Links
Yep, the staircase normally goes above the existing one and cuts across the top of the hall window.

Andy

Thanks all.
Yep, the staircase normally goes above the existing one and cuts across the top of the hall window.

Andy

does that mean I can still get to keep the lower part of the window? It’s quite a large window.

An accurate sketch with measurements of the existing floor plan and details of the proposed roof type (especially if it's hipped) may get you better suggestions.

I'm by no means as experienced as most on here, but in this part of the country, most semi's with loft conversions lose a bit of the small front 1st floor room, and put the new stairs above the existing. Might just be peculiar to this town :cautious:

This does require a hip to gable conversion as part of the conversion

Apart from bungalows I'm not sure I can actually recall having done a loft conversion without placing the new stair above the existing.

Sometimes the facts may astound the unaware and inexperienced.
Is this one of those times where you inadvertently say something stupid and then rather than just man up about it you dig your heels in until you look like a complete knob? Because like, now's the time to man up.

Is this one of those times where you inadvertently say something stupid and then rather than just man up about it you dig your heels in until you look like a complete knob? Because like, now's the time to man up.
The facts are the facts. When you eventually get a few loft conversions under your belt you will see for yourself. Until then, I would suggest that you should be the one to not broadcast your ignorance and arrogance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back