Fire regulations Loft conversion and extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3 bed detached property with a loft conversion. The loft was added in 2001. I vaguely remember being told that we couldn’t add a ground floor extension under the Velux loft window that was, in effect, a fire escape window. This was due to the need for ladder access by the fire brigade. Is this still the case ? Also is that an accurate interpretation anyway ?

Sponsored Links
There is no restriction on building a ground floor extension below a loft rooflight, nor has there ever been.

I always had my suspicions. Even below Velux that is specifically an escape ? I remember the conversation and the architect said it’s because the fire brigade may need to mount a ladder as they can’t get a cherry picker in the back garden.

I’ve read plenty of regs, yawn, around this and indeed I can’t see any mention at all

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Under the 2001 regulations, second storey loft conversions required an escape window that was either accessible to the fire service, or lead to a defined escape route escape to a place of safety .

Those requirements still stand today, unless it can be demonstrated that any alterations are no-less safe.

So yes, meeting those requirements may mean that what can be done with the area below such an escape window is restricted

Thanks. Just found a letter from the loft company from back then explaining that a conservatory is a no no because the fire brigade couldn’t access the escape window. They mention that a small extension is an option provided access is possible. But would need to be advised

Thanks everyone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back