Fire retardant Polystyrene beads in cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an uninsulated cavity wall which I want to fill. I don't need to drill holes, since I can access it through the roof. I can't use sheets because it's full of protruding mortar and then won't fit snug. So I am condemned to loose fill or foam.
Although I like the idea of expanding foam, the fuming is a serious issue and has put me off.

I had settled on loose cellulose but due to its water retention + possible mould issues I am less keen on the idea. Bare in mind, the external wall is rendered, and it's in good condition. I have inclined more towards fire retardant polystyrene beads as of late, but I'm nut sure about how fire resistant it is, since it will be in the kitchen.

So, questions:
1. What type of adhesive should I be looking at ? or can I get away with no adhesive and just fill the tops with fire resistant expanding foam ?
2. What possible issues can arise with polystyrene. I know it has a retardant, but reading the data sheets, above 250-500c it does give pretty easily. Maybe I should buy a sample and put a torch to it..

Sponsored Links
Building regulations approval would be required for this work and they may require some sort of certification which a DIYer could not supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back