fire varnish for use in the converted attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone

I am redecorating my attic bedroom, where I have pine skirting boards/facings, velux windows and some doors (wardrobe, storage space etc).

I stripped the old varnish off, since it became old and nasty-looking and was going to re-varnish everything.

now a friend tells me that a special type of varnish has to be used there. can someone clarify? is it just for doors or for all woodwork?

it's difficult to find information on this online, but this page has some:

http://www.nt7553.vs.speednames.com/loftconversion.htm

this is not advertisement, I just could not find more comprehensive info on this. thanks for any pointers guys.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I don't think your friend is right but i'm not that up on reg's. The key word to look for is intumescent, if you feel the need to take your friends advice have a look at rawlings paints. Worth checking if the door has an intumescent strip in it, if it doesn't there's no point in using the special paint/varnish anyway.

There is a building regs section on this site might be worth asking a mod to move your post (if he's not out on his scooter).

thank you for your reply dcdec.

I was only asking about facings/skirting boards. the fire door is clear.

I phoned BR at the council and they said that only the door requires special treatment (as well as being a proper fire door). skirting etc can be covered with normal varnish, apparently.

disclaimer: don't use my words as guidance, check with BR/council yourself!

does anyone have any more comments/experiences?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back