Firedoor and loft conversion questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Recently purchased a property that came with planning approval for loft conversion and single storey rear extn and double on side. I would like to make some changes to the plan and would like to check feasibility of my proposalm before contacting the original architect and contacting LA for ammendment/re-submittal.

On the original plan the stairs were located in the box room running parallel and over extg stairs. I would like to alter this to a winder style staircase starting just after the original door into the box room, 2 steps up then kite to the left followed by one step up then kite again then straight above the extg stairs. 2M head height will be achieved. What this then achieves is the remaining part of the box room can become an ensuite to the orignal master bedroom. I will change all doors & frames to all rooms on both gnd and 1st floor to FD30 door sets (is this to current spec). Question is for the loft bedroom can the door at the bottom (required if I turn into HMO for separation) of the stairs be created just after the first stair and open out onto the extg landing or is there a requirement for it to open inwards or a minimum dimension required for the door to open onto the extg landing.

With respect to HMO are there any additonal requirements as information on this seems very limited? I will of course get anything confirmed in writing but would like to have a better understanding before contacting LA and architect.

Attached are the copies of the plans and my edits

Sponsored Links
The position of the door in relation to the stair is very clearly set out in Part K of the Building Regs http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/Pp...gportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADK_1998.pdf (diagram 6 on page 8 ) the door can be at the bottom or the top BTW.

With regard to HMO's most Local Authorities will have a document setting out their requirements for eg http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/application_guidance_and_standards_09-2.pdf

The Local Authorities requirements are largely the same but do vary slightly so it is important you find the relevant one. Do a search for HMO on your council's website, that should throw up the right links. If not then give Planning a ringo, they should be able to direct you to the right document.

Landings are required at the top and bottom of a staircase. The landing depth is to be the same width as the staircase. However, this dimension can be min. 400mm if you have a door swinging across the landing. There is no minimum width for a staircase (in a dwelling). You just have to use common sense applying it to moving furniture in/out of the loft room.

As for HMO's. I "think" they're mentioned in Part B but they refer you to other rules/regulations specifically for HMO's. Contact your LA to see what guidance documents they use/apply to HMO's. There is quite a lot required if going down the HMO route so best check out all the requirements before proceeding down that route.

Cheers

I am slightly confused that the original plans show no such landing at the top yet they have passed albeit they were not building reg plans I assume.

LA when contacted in the past (2 years ago) ref HMO they seemed to be set up for members of the public reporting suspected HMO's rather than providing me with the information I require. Almost like as long as they were getting there licence fee thay was all they was after! Which is obviously of little help when you are trying to do things correct and you could end up with some nasty surprises.

Will contact them tomorrow regarding HMO and try to get the guys who done the drawings for the previous owners to redraw.

Just had a quick browse over the reqs for plymouth and it looks like my plans are good. Only one I dont quite understand is the shared kitchen Which is 5m x 4.7m plus a utility area is located on the gnd floor with a communal lounge of 4.5m x 4.2m also on the ground flr would this be suitable for the unit on the 2nd floor? Each unit has its own ensuite (shower basin and toliet) with a total of 6 units)

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Your plans are a little hard to decipher tbh as they're quite small. A decent architect or technician will indicate Building Regs compliant layouts at Planning stage, bit slack tbh! Do not feel obliged to uses the same Architects for the Building Regs drawings, this amendment will not affect the approved panning application unless the building is listed which I am sure it is not anyway. ;) Persist with your LA, who is your local council BTW? Presume you realise the approved planning application is only valid for 3 years? Better get your skates on or see if you can extend the deadline.

Sorry bit unclear the 2 years ago was on another property that I own (which was did not need HMO but I made it compliant) this ones plans were drawn in March this year so no probs there. I have also edited my last post with a bit more detail that you would not have seen since your last post. The plans were drawn up as very outline for another person who dropped out the sale (local property developer who had the plans done before completing on the house). So plans can be excused.

Cheers for all your help and advice v.much appreciated

Just had a quick browse over the reqs for plymouth and it looks like my plans are good. Only one I dont quite understand is the shared kitchen Which is 5m x 4.7m plus a utility area is located on the gnd floor with a communal lounge of 4.5m x 4.2m also on the ground flr would this be suitable for the unit on the 2nd floor? Each unit has its own ensuite (shower basin and toliet) with a total of 6 units)
This is a bit hazy but my interpretation is that provided you have a lounge or dinning room on the same floor as the kitchen then you only need one kitchen on the ground floor to serve both the first and loft floors for up to five person. However if the facilities are improved within the kitchen then just one kitchen may be alright for more than 5 persons. HMO licences are in my experience though, slightly open to negotiation with the inspectors and as mentioned you really need to be looking at your own relevant guidelines.

Thanks very much, will proceed as was, it appears like I am more or less on the mark. The rooms will be easily large enough as per the table, have the added benefit of the ensuite each and will be of a very high standard of finish. Hopefully this will help swing anything that is not quite there. Will abandon the door at the bottom of the new stairs to access the loft and create a landing on the 2nd floor with a door facing towards the rear dormer (for ease of furniture moving). Does this have to open inwards or outwards in respect to the staircase or does it no matter as there will be at least 760mm(door swing) of landing space to step onto before stairs.

tks

PS LA is Barking & Dagenham

The door can swing either way but if it swings towards the stairs there must be a clear gap of 400mm between the door swing and the first step as per the diagram referenced to in my first post ( I appreciate the diagram only says 'up' but you should take it as 400mm for 'down' too).

Here's your HMO guidelines http://www.barking-dagenham.gov.uk/6-living/housing/private-sector/pdf/draft-hmo-standards.pdf all sorts of other stuff on this page http://www.barking-dagenham.gov.uk/6-living/housing/private-sector/hmos.html

Yep went through them last night and looks good and nothing that I didnt come across in the other borough of Havering. Thanks for all your help, do you work for an LA if so congratulations on your attitude a nice refreshing change to speak to someone human.

Yep went through them last night and looks good and nothing that I didnt come across in the other borough of Havering. Thanks for all your help, do you work for an LA if so congratulations on your attitude a nice refreshing change to speak to someone human and what appears to be a passion for their job.

do you work for an LA if so congratulations on your attitude a nice refreshing change to speak to someone human and what appears to be a passion for their job.
Christ No! :LOL: Not sure about the passionate bit either! I did say I was passionate about it in a staff review a few years back though! :LOL:

You can tell there is some passion, to be on here helping someone like myself out shows comittment that I rarely see. Are you a architect?

How dare you! :evil: I'm an architectural technician so I do do this for a living. Probably just have too much time on my hands to be honest! :oops: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back