Fireplace Angle Beads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Decided to use a stove supplier who offered complete job, ie could supply and fit. I had already removed the existing fireplace.
Supplier ‘s fitters removed brickwork to full width of builders opening, they also fitted new lintel, raising it by one course of bricks.
The problems started on the second day when it was a long succession of “near enough is good enough”. I complained to the manager of the company but his response was a rant that I was judging an unfinished job, and he could not tolerate someone looking at each aspect of the job prior to completion. The inevitable result was a cancellation.
So I am now left with an unfinished job. My intention is to finish off the chimney breast and fire opening myself, but then call in a Hetas fitter who will install the gas stove and flue liner. Essentially I am left with a chimney breast that has had non-Gysum boards (maybe Glasroc, but can’t be sure, they are white and seem to have a fibrous reinforcement) fitted each side, and above, the fire opening. The fire opening itself is pretty clean red brick, but the quality of the brickwork is not good enough to be left exposed.
I am quite capable of a good plastering job so I feel confident that I can plaster skim the chimney breast, and then render the fire opening. I was proposing to use two coats of 4:1:1 lime render in the actual fire opening.
The question is: can I use beads around the fire opening itself. I propose to use skim beads on the corners of the chimney breast where there will be a plaster skim, but would have used the mesh plaster beads at the fire opening, in fact using a stop bead under the lintel as I was not intending to render under there. I am somewhat worried that due to heat, whilst probably being far less with a gas stove as compared to a wood burner, the metal beads at those corners will expand/contract such that cracking will always be a problem.
Have considered boarding as a quicker fix, but cannot find any consensus in what boards/adhesive are suited to this application.
thanks and regards

Sponsored Links
To give some appreciation of likely heat conditions, the fire opening is 780mm wide and 900mm high. This allows 182mm clearance on either side of stove, and 350mm above. Rear clearance is about 130mm. The gas stove itself is only 3.4kw max output. The front of the stove will be more or less flush with the front face of the chimney breast.

Sponsored Links
But the beauty of using beads is that they protect the corners against the inevitable knocks. I've seen a fire opening where the owner has wanted slightly rounded corners, thus no beads, and damage was evident.
Personally I think that I will be OK but would have liked some peace of mind before starting from someone with more experience than me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back