Building fake chimney breast to surround wood burning stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm installing a wood burning stove in to my living room at the same time as applying insulated plaster board to my external walls.

The stove I'm fitting has a "combustibles" minimum distance of 450mm, and I've read (plenty of threads on here) that you shouldn't use anything gypsum based within 500mm

The stove is going in a long (8m) flat wall which I'd also like to wallpaper.

I am considering building a fake chimney breast around the stove in order to allow me to keep the wallpaper and insulated plasterboard away from the stove.

I am planning on cutting in to the brickwork around the fireplace opening and putting whole bricks in (so half a brick will stick out of the otherwise flat wall) - this will be the depth of the chimney breast, I was planning on using wooden studs on the outer corners, as these will be far enough away from the stove.

However, what "plasterboard" products should I use to construct the chimney breast?

I am planning on rendering the inside of the fireplace using a sand/cement/lime coarse render and presumably I'd need something like VITCAS heat resistant plaster to cover the chimney breast immediately around the fireplace.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back