Fireplace plastered without a corner bead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had our dining room reskimmed as part of an extension/renovation.

Several years ago the existing fireplace had been opened up and skimmed on the chimney breast and rendered internally (preparation for a burner). Where the render meets the outside skim, there were corner beads on the 2 verticals, and not on the arch.

However, during the current renovation the builder has reskimmed the whole of the outside, used a plastic bead on the arch and no bead on the vertical parts. He hasn't touched the interior (which is fine).

It has been about a month since the builder left, and the unbeaded corner edges have started to chip in a few places. I am not happy with this.

Is it unreasonable to get the builder to sort this? I didn't specify exactly how I wanted the job done, but assumed they knew what they were doing.

What would be the best fix? reskim the whole chimney breast, but with a bead?

Thanks for any comments.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A photo would help but generally speaking all plastered edges take an angle bead or a stop bead.
If you leave the job to the trades person then nothing but best practice and due diligence is to be expected. They are the professionals not you.
Did you give any kind of instructions or guidelines?

A photo would help but generally speaking all plastered edges take an angle bead or a stop bead.
If you leave the job to the trades person then nothing but best practice and due diligence is to be expected. They are the professionals not you.
Did you give any kind of instructions or guidelines?

Thanks. I'll post a pic up later.

My instructions were quite general. The chimney breast is in a room that has been extended , and I asked for the whole lot to be skimmed - old & new.

My guess is that he didn't want to waste time dealing with the transition between the existing render and the new skim - does that make sense? what would be the ideal way for him to have dealt with this? As it stands, the ~3mm 'edge' of the plaster is exposed and has chipped off in several places. Quite small chips, but noticeable, and only a month or so has passed.

If you leave the job to the trades person then nothing but best practice and due diligence is to be expected.
crampe.gif

Sponsored Links
You've totally missed the context of what i said - a bit alarming given that you come on here claiming to give advice, or is it that you lack basic amusements in your life? Why not ask your wife to pull your ears to make you happy?

View media item 97673
Miniature Heroes box included for scale! :) Plus some plastic grey toy storage boxes...

The picture shows the left hand side of the fireplace - black is painted render inside the fireplace, white is the skimmed, painted chimney breast. You can see splashes of pink plaster on the interior black.

If you look along the edge you can see the pink edge of the plaster all the way down, and at least 3 decent chips. It is only going to get worse over time.

In order to put a bead along there presumably the breast will need re-skimming, but does the inside need to be re-rendered?

You've totally missed the context of what i said - a bit alarming given that you come on here claiming to give advice, or is it that you lack basic amusements in your life? Why not ask your wife to pull your ears to make you happy?
goodjob.gif

drpepe, there should be a stop bead at all the raw edges of the opening.
Stop beads can be retro-fitted with a little hacking off and making good.
Otherwise, the skim looks great.

Thanks for the reply, vinn.

That sounds fairly simple and less work than I had feared. I will put that suggestion to my builder.

Yes, I'm actually pretty happy with the rest of the plasterwork, hence wanting to get this sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back