How would u attach corner bead to brickwork?...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I've got a job starting tomorrow... first paid plastering job and i want to make a good go of it. The customer has seen what i can do in a house i'm renovating and wants me to do a small bit of work for him.

The job is basically this... he wants me to reskim some rough old plasterwork in his kitchen, but through the middle of the room is a big archway - a supporting wall (brickwork) which has been skimmed over, i just wanted to fix some plastic arch beads around the edges - SBR the lot - leave till the following morning while i'm doing another area and then skim the lot.

My question is, normally i would nail the angle beads through the plasterboard into the timbers in a stud wall, but how would i do this if the wall is made of brick??

thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
I would normally go for 1" clouts on something like that, but Roughcaster may be along later with better idea....he's the man! Sbr for a skim?

I would go the same way, 1" (maximum) galvanised, with smallish heads. Tap them in carefully, and at a slight angle "away" from the corner. I put the nails into the fartherest away (e-longated) holes on the bead. It's a good idea to run a strip of mesh tape down the edges of the bead too,,,,,, half onto the bead, half onto the wall. It's just in case you get a straight crack down the edge of the bead, if it gets knocked after it's plastered, especially if it's fixed to a solid corner... This is just something that I do on every "thin coat" beaded corner, whether it's onto a solid or a stud wall.

Roughcaster.

I would attach the bead as I would do when rendering outside and fitting beads to concrete lintols. I would get some obo nails and just "Tack " the bead on so it holds in place then fill in around the obo's just below the ariss of the bead, and when set pull out the obo's , then carry on and bring to a finish.

PS I call Masonary nails "Obo.s" just an old habit. This is just one way that can be used and RC's is another.. Lots of ways to "Skim a cat"... ;)

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the advice fellas, knew I could rely on u bunch to point me the right way.

Cheers
Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back