Plastering a fireplace arch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have opened up a fireplace to install a woodburning stove (hasn't everyone...), which exposed the original supporting brick arch above the builders opening. We don't want the exposed brick but we do want to retain the curvature of the arch. I want to plaster over it but I'm struggling to think how I'll get a decent curve through rendering and plastering. I'm fine with the walls on the chimney breast front, but I'm struggling with ideas on the arch.

The arch itself isn't perfect so I wouldn't want to follow the edge of it as it currently sits. I also don't want to use the metal/plastic beading as the expansion/contraction will crack the plaster.

- Would I be able to form a plywood arch (supported at either end) and render/plaster up to this?
- If so, when can I take the plywood away without damaging the finish?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
yep no problem. take it down next day

Thank you. Closest thing I've come to this is by using the plastering stop beads which obviously stay in place, so was a bit nervous about when I could take the plywood away without damaging the work.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back