Fireplace archway help. 1920's house.

From a sructural viewpoint, there is absolutely no need to add the lower ring of the arch; in fact, it will not add any strength at all and would be purely cosmetic.

You will effectively be building the arch from below, which is very difficult. When the arch was originally built, the bricklayer obviously did it from above, and when the weight gradually went on the bricks as the breast went up, it would cause the mortar joints to be squeezed up and thereby tighten up on the bricks.

Doing it from below, this won't happen. In fact, you will find that as the mortar sets and shrinks very slightly, a hairline crack will open up above the lower ring and your arch will be only supporting itself.

If you must do it, you will first need to make a timber form, The mortar joints to the first 3 bricks either side will accomodate the arch shape, but the middle brick will have to be cut. If you are using old solid commons, you could try the simple way of using a hammer and bolster chisel, though you'll probably go through a few bricks before you get it right. If you have a disc cutter, that would be more accurate.

You will have to push the top brick in sideways due to its shape; because of this, the mortar will tend to push out.
You have set yourself a difficult task!

Sponsored Links
Credit where credit is due, you have made a tidy job there fellow.
Your arch is now back to how it was originally built. :LOL:
Regards oldun

Thanks very much. It was not the easiest of jobs. Very fiddly.

Going to take up the tile in the internal hearth later so it is the same level as the constructional and then i can decide what new hearth to go with.

Some of the edge bricks did spawl when i took the mortar off (i pressume they used to use stronger mortar to protect the corners from accidental damage) but overall they were not too bad. I will know more when i clean it up. i might even get the brick cleaner out later if i am feeling motivated.

Sponsored Links
A few years ago I did a fire place similar, and used a pool table slate for the hearth, cut it to fit with angle grinder and it looked good, and easily swept clean.

Thats a good idea. We have been 'discussing' what is best to do with the hearth tonight. I might look into that. She was looking at fancy quartz tiles but i could see those getting satined quite easily with spilt soot.

Right then. I have been spured on to get this completed as the stove has arrived. Very slowly getting there now.

Started cleaning the bricks up yesterday and also sorted the hearth out to have slate tiles on.

I have a question with the repointing. Do i go for Lime mortar or a 4:1 sand cement mix (or similar)? I am going to attempt to make a good job of it recessed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back