Fireplace edging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have just moved into a new house, and I have opened up the chimney, to convert back to use for real open fire.

I am putting in lime render back, with brick side cheeks (these are away from cradle fire so should not be a problem). However I would like to keep it quite simple visually, so am not putting in a surround, I just want the internal side bricks showing and have a smooth plaster finish to the front edge.

I am concerned about how to do this, so the heat does not affect the plaster front or the paint on top (especially as I have had to paper line the walls as they have micro cracks all over).

Is this at all possible, and if so has anyone got any advice as to how to accomplish this.

many thanks

mark

Sponsored Links
Not sure I understand what you want to do. But you need a hearth.

Sorry let me break it down:

Inside fireplace

1. Sides in brick
2. Base - brick base with top render
3. Back being rendered with lime mortar and special black paint

Outside

4. Granite hearth across front (level with 2 above)
5. Flat plaster wall to outer edge of internal side brickwork

It is number 5 that is the cause for concern - how to get the font face of the fireplace flat, so it is at pure 90 degrees to internal brickwork.

I hope I have explained myself better. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back