Fireplace finishing..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

This may be the wrong place but not sure where it should go so feel free to move...

I've recently had my living & dining room plaster and the fireplace rendered with a lime stone mix?!... anyway long term goal is for a multifuel burner!

Im stuggling on how i should finish this once decorated?

should i put skirting right across the front then screed inside upto a level then place slate/stone to bring it level with the skiritng will this have issues with the multi fuel burner OR skiriting to the opening then slate/stone inside and down the front?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, i just can't seem to find how i should complete this piece!

Thanks for any advice

Attachments

• IMG_1688.JPG
    IMG_1688.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 116
Sponsored Links
My personal view is that skirting on the front of a chimney breast can look a bit odd, but I guess it depends on how you're planning to finish the face of the chimney breast up and across, around the opening.
Do you mean to bring the floor level inside the opening up to the level of the top of the skirting board? I was a bit confused by that, and can't think why you'd do that, if that's what you mean. It would give you less room for a burner.
I think that if the inside of the opening is finished with lime mortar, then it's best left alone - maybe slap some paint on, but again I'd be wary of reducing the size of the opening by lining it with anything else.
Personally I'd keep it as simple as possible...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back