Fireplace Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a fire place wanted to replace it with new mantel, hearth and gas fire etc so bought the bits from B&Q. I've really struggled to get a plumber / heating engineer to do the job, ended up finding a guy who fits fires but he quoted me £350 to fit new hearth, mantel and fireplace says about hrs work says not many people do it, I have struggled to find someone, is it really that much of a small market ? Thinking I might have a career change now :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Fireplace and fire fitting is not a niche it is bread and butter job to a proper gas engineer trouble is industry is full of 6 month guys who fix boilers or stick to the easy bits of the trade.

BQ its not that sh~te formica type panels and focal point fire by any chance

Fireplace and fire fitting is not a niche it is bread and butter job to a proper gas engineer trouble is industry is full of 6 month guys who fix boilers or stick to the easy bits of the trade.

Do you think its reasonable to pay, its London. I will see if I can find someone else but I have really struggled, I know everyone says the job is worth what the customer will pay and to be honest I would pay as its the last thing I need to do in my house

Fire was B&Q yeah Focal Point are they cr*p ?

Check his gas registration before you get him to do the installation.

Either he is very fast, or he will be cutting corners.

Some of the things thart must be done correctly are listed below

Use of correct gas pipe and length
Sealing the fire surround correctly
Bedding the hearth and concealed gas pipe routing
Checking the chimney
Fitting the fire as per the regs and MIs
Checking fire works correctly

Seen plenty jobs done incorrectly. Just means you pay more for work rectification.

Sponsored Links
3hours is not an unreasonable time to fit a fire and surround if everything is already prepared and proper marble back panel/hearth or that half inch thick stuff BQ sell ......350 sounds on dear side , but i have not seen job.

Focal point are sh#te its an ornament and if you use it everyday in winter it wont last long also they are not the best at throwing heat out .
Did it cost you couple of hunfred max

Obviously can't see the job but I reckon your getting roasted. Removing an old 50's style f/place and replace with panel hearth and mantel + fitting a fire is generally 1/2 days work, and does not warrant ripping into someone for £350. This type of charlatan is why we get such a bad name.
There is no call back/warranty with this type of job (customers goods) so it an easy peasey job with no headaches.
Suggest you tell him to f**k o*f and find an honest RGi who doesnt regard the public as a walking wallet.

The problem as we all know about fitting fires is that it is virtually impossible to quote over the phone... We've all seen masonry that is so old and decrepit that it self destructs, chimneys that leak smoke into the loft, back boiler pipes that have been left in and need to be removed, 8mm gas pipe that runs half way round the house.. Etc etc..

If I am asked for a price over the phone, I always say that my quote is based on the flue and brickwork being in good condition and there being an adequate gas supply

I may have mentioned it once or twice but inset LFE fires should be banned..

how true

like remove the fireplace and half the chimney breast is on the floor

or some git has left a cast coal burner in and stuck the fire in front :eek:

then you get well it was alright till you started :cry:

3hours is not an unreasonable time to fit a fire and surround if everything is already prepared and proper marble back panel/hearth or that half inch thick stuff BQ sell ......350 sounds on dear side , but i have not seen job.

Focal point are sh#te its an ornament and if you use it everyday in winter it wont last long also they are not the best at throwing heat out .
Did it cost you couple of hunfred max

Whats a better brand to go for I want something mid range, I tend to use it alot in winter ?

Yeah does seem steep price, the bricks and chimney are all ok had them checked by another plumber. Will get some more quotes I think.

If you use it for heating a room then you really don't want an inset flame effect... Especially not a Futile Point... All they do is send 7kW of heat up the flue.. If you look closely there will be a label stating that the fire is for decoration only..

Valor dream fireslide is a good fire, at around £350
Go for something that has a depth into opening of 280mm plus
the fires that go in 100mm are not that good for heat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back