Fitting/sealing surround, backing and hearth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Bought new gas fire + mdf surround, granite backing and hearth. Local Gas Safe guy has quoted £350 to take out old gas fire (B&Q jobby), replace the flue, put new gas fire in and bury a Gas pipe that is coming out of the side of the chimney.

Thought this was a fair price but not really sure. Sound OK?

Also, was going to fit the MDF surround, granite backing and hearth myself but have read contradictory advice on whether it's OK to lay a superimposed hearth over solid wood flooring for a Gas fire.

Building regs seem to say a constructional hearth is required for solid fuel only. If that's the case, how to seal the superimposed hearth to the solid wood flooring, silicon?

Thanks for reading,
Cellardoor

Sponsored Links
Thanks gasbanni,

What do you think I should do about the wood floor?

Sponsored Links
Bought new gas fire + mdf surround, granite backing and hearth. Local Gas Safe guy has quoted £350 to take out old gas fire (B&Q jobby), replace the flue, put new gas fire in and bury a Gas pipe that is coming out of the side of the chimney.

Thought this was a fair price but not really sure. Sound OK?

contradictory advice on whether it's OK to lay a superimposed hearth over solid wood flooring for a Gas fire.

i. Hearth plan is perfectly okay

ii. Why is he replacing the flue? Do you mean a liner? Is the chimney defective, you only need a new liner if the flue is defective, but you CANNOT use the existing liner.

iii. Why on earth is he not fitting the fireplace. Seems ridiculous to spread the job out over a few days, when he could do the whole thing in one visit. If he ISN'T relining, then it looks a tad expensive to me, especially if it doesn't include VAT

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back