Using MDF to mount back panel on gas fire installation

fjt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of advice please....

I'm replacing an old 1960's fire place with a new one with gas fire (chimney class 1). I'm using a Valor SoloPro hearth and back panel which is a lightweight granite design (built around a metal frame). The back panel needs to be spaced off the wall by 10mm to meet up with the return of the mantel frame. Is it OK to use MDF sheet which in effect will be sandwiched between the back panel and the wall? The MDF can be protected with metal tape if it helps, then sealed.

If MDF is unsuitable, what else can I use?

Just want to know before I build it all and get the Corgi man back to fit the fire. I would ask him but he's on holiday for two weeks!

Sponsored Links
MDF is not recommended would it catch fire or cause a hazard is another question. What you should use is asbestos TYPE rope to space it away from wall and fire proof tile adhesive, then seal the gap around the opening with the adhesive or some other appropriate sealant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back