Gas Fire Fitting To Marble Surround

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

I had the gas fitter round today to inspect the composite marble (marfil) fire surround I fitted prior to him fitting the gas fire on Saturday and was really pleased that he said I did a good job fitting of the surround.

He has given me two options for securing the fire to the back panel:

1. Drill and plug the back panel and secure with screws.
or
2. Use cables and tensioners secured to eyebolts in the back wall of the chimney which means the back panel won't need drilling.

1 seems simpler but I'm concerned about damage to the back panel (cracks/chips etc.) and the fitter won't guarantee that this won't happen which is why he's given me the other option.

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Esra

Sponsored Links
drill the marble,with the right bit it only takes seconds and no damage,using tensioners and eyebolts is a pita imho.

If its marfill (not marble) i use a 3mm wood bit and self tappers. Never cracked one yet :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all who replied.

He drilled the back and fitted the fibre plugs and screws which came with the fire.

It took minutes (I watched him do it getting ready with the tissues and me arris twitching like f***) and, after he'd explained the alternative I'm glad we did it that way.

I may have had a different view if it had cracked though I suppose.

Esra

just hope that if you ever change the fire the screw holes are still hidden.

I always tend to use the eye bolts and cables. Doesn't take that long either ;)

I may have had a different view if it had cracked though I suppose.

Dont worry about it cracking, as long as you don't have the fire on to long.

If the surround gets to hot then the chance of it cracking increases. :cry:

I, too, always tend to use the eye bolts and cables, so if surround crack its not my fault. :cool:

Same here dave i never drill the marble unless its balanced flue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back