fitting marble fire surround

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got told which fire i needed so bought one for a pre cast flue . My gas supply is capped at the moment so would like to fit the marble fire myself then get a gas installer to fit fire.

What do i need to do to fit the surround and back panel as i would like to do these myself , i've got a good understanding of diy jobs as i'm a maintenance electrician

Do you fit back panel straight to the wall or bring it to the edge of fire surround then seal around that which would mean putting something between wall and back panel and also do you need to seal around fire surround itself.

This is the fire place that needs fitting - link below

http://www.internetfiresdirect.co.uk/showdetails.asp?id=1234

Loads of help would be grateful cheers

Sponsored Links
Centre your marble plynth on breast wall, place back panel on plynth, centred on opening. Get your marble legs & place them on plynth, (it`s normally a 2 man job this) Fit legs to wall, pull back panel forwards & seal all behind back panel ( top, bottom & sides) with bonding. Seal plinth to opening or build up your fireplace opening to meet plynth with more bonding. Ready for fire, not forgetting to have your gas supply to your fire established within the opening first. ;)

The hearth should be set on a bed of mortar first so it is level and solid. Before back panel etc is placed on it

namsag said:
The hearth should be set on a bed of mortar first so it is level and solid. Before back panel etc is placed on it

Most correct Sir, Thank you for correcting me.

Sponsored Links
Hi Namsag/bamber can you give your reply so i understand it a little better , If i've fitted hearth then put legs on, my back panel doesnt meet up with legs does that mean i stand back panel of wall with timber then seal back panel to wood and seal wood to chimney breast.

TIMBER NO CHANCE. Buy big bag carlite bonding plaster. will allow build up of 40mm easy. gob a bead all around wall at opening then 4 big blobs to rest of area. then push home back pannel until correct distace off wall for lag rebates. if you really have to pack it use plaser board for packings.the seal between the wall & the back pannel are really part of the flue system so it has to be right.

tomgreen78 said:
Hi Namsag/bamber can you give your reply so i understand it a little better , If i've fitted hearth then put legs on, my back panel doesnt meet up with legs does that mean i stand back panel of wall with timber then seal back panel to wood and seal wood to chimney breast.

Pull the back panel forwards so it`s flush with legs on both sides. You are probably going to be left with a huge void behind your now pulled forward marble panel.You have to seal all inside here. I use bonding.You have to understand that you are fitting a gas fire & all the fumes need to be going up the chimney & not into your house.Are you with me ;)

find centre of wall by measuring breast,
mark out where hearth is to be located and marble back

use sand cement and bonding (to make it go off quicker) for bed spot and dab the floor below hearth and then level hearth.

use remaining to seal the underside edges just push it in by hand it and clean marble a bit with damp cloth rest will come up after.

place marble back against wall in its possition and then place legs measuring them to ensure the are accurately place do not set them yet.
now double check that the builder opening is central on marble back.

if it is thats good if not give slight nudges to align it central.

ok if all is well and marble goes against wall then remove legs tilt marble back forwards and apply mastic sealant( ensure its capable of withstanding 100 c heat range)and push back into place
now use marble adhesive and mastic sealant(again heat resistant) make small parts of it on the marble so it does not come through to the visable edge adhesive sealant adhesive sealant and so on to the base and inner side that make contact and top for the mantel.

now you will need to seal the builder opening, use casting plaster as it dense enough to stop fumes, this stuff goes off really really quick so only make small parts that you can easilly use in time.
apply it to the inner edges of the marble back at the builder opening to the brickwork all the way round including the inside edge of the earth to the concrete base of the chimney.

why is the marble back not to be set straght away.... if you have a gap between the marble back and the rebate of the surround you can pack out the marble back with rockwool prior to setting it and using the casting plaster outer edge can be filled with silicone sealant again at 100 c resistance.

why not use bonding..... my wall like everybody elses has two skims of plaster and a bonding coat when a flue fails fumes can pass through the mortar and plaster work into the houseif its is cracked ect + takes to long to go off

why mark it out when its been placed accuratly simple so you get it all back in the same spot and remeasure to confirm.
dont forget to do the mantel at same as legs adhesive and sealants.

im only doing my acs and ive blown the socks of the others......

gas pipe thanks for the abuse last night but your method sucks and you claimed to be a proffessional act like one and give advice that doesnt kill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back