Do I need a back panel with an inset gas fire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've been renovating our house and have finally got to fitting a gas fire. We bought a Yeoman CL7 Logic HE inset gas fire from our local supplier with our plumber/gas engineer in mind to fit it.

However after having the whole of the living room plasterboarded and plastered, we're now being told we need a back panel for the gas fire otherwise it will crack the plaster. On the manufacturers website it shows the same model of inset gas fire fitted against walls without any back panels and we bought it due to it having this more minimal look.

Is it correct that we need a back panel or is it ok to have the fire installed against the plasterboard and plastered walls?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I think you've mistaken a marketing picture for an installation instruction.

The installation instructions for this fire say
"
NOTE: It is recommended you construct the back panel of the fireplace from natural materials cut into three or more sections to prevent cracking. Resin-based materials may not be suitable. This appliance is an effective heat producer and attention must be paid to the construction and finish of the fireplace.
These appliances must be hearth mounted into a into a non-combustible opening to National Standards. The minimum dimensions shall be as shown in Diagram 3"

It goes on to say that there must be 150mm clearance to combustible materials on all sides. The paper on plasterboard is combustible. I think you'd get away with no back panel if a fireproof cementitious board was used around the fire, but not normal plasterboard. Heat resistant plaster would also be desirable to prevent cracking in this scenario

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back