Inset Gas Fire - Flue Flow Test

Surely if the tenant has not got the LL's written permission to remove his appliance and install her own she could be in contravention of the terms of her lease which could render her liable for legal action and/or eviction. Bit strong, I know, but it sounds like she could do with a shock such as this to help her to see sense.

Also do the terms of her lease not require that she permits the LL to carry out necessary checks to the property? As has been said in order to check the condition/intergrity of the flue (LL's responsibility) it will be necessary to remove the fire.

One also wonders why she does not want the fire removed. What has she got hidden behind it? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Surely if the tenant has not got the LL's written permission to remove his appliance and install her own she could be in contravention of the terms of her lease which could render her liable for legal action and/or eviction.

Yes. It's most definitely a contravention of the lease. If she fails to allow us access today and make the appliance safe, we'll go for an injunction or use the EPA as the unserviced appliance can be classed as a statutory nuisance.

Also do the terms of her lease not require that she permits the LL to carry out necessary checks to the property?

Spot on. This is the same woman that took the threat of legal action before she'd let us begin servicing servicing this year. :rolleyes:

Well, we attended today. No sign of her CORGI engineer. A different one of our contractor's RGIs attended, who was quite happy to do a flue flow test with out taking out the fire.

After seeing the fire, I was gobsmacked he agreed to do it. The opening was so small that there's no way in hell he could see up the chimney. Bombed it, looked underneath it (presumably the catchment area), performed a spillage test, gas rate test and then pronounced it fine.

Tenant had no MI and the best we could identify on the fire is Inset Slimeline Mark 2. Any one heard of this fire before?

Nope cant see the catchment by looking under it,

If this is what he does when he knows he should be checking it right ie problem customer and being observed , makes me wonder about when no one there,

Valor do a slimline but so do others

Sponsored Links
It's probably a focal point badged up as a slimline (B&Q special). I would've said he shudda took it out to inspect properly as namsag said you can't see the catchment by looking underneath. The whole inside may not be bricked up properly so who knows where the POC are going? It's on the RGI's toes if he's comfortable taking the risk of not being thorough.

Attended another one of these tenant own gas fires today. This time tenant told RGI at initial inspection that she had her own RGI test the gas fire and not to touch it. A month or so later, after multitude of threatening letters to produce the safety certificate, we attend to find she had none. Surprised? I'm not.

The real kicker ... our RGI AR'd it for a broken pebble bed, to which they replied, "Yeah, it's been burning funny for a while."

:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back