Fireplace Hearth Concrete Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

First post so apologies if I have put it in the wrong place. Just looking for a bit of advice.

We had an old gas fire with back boiler which we had removed and replaced with a combi boiler in the airing cupboard, this has left a hole where the old fireplace used to be which we had made into an alcove and plastered over. We will shortly be decorating and the intention is just to carpet up to the alcove and have it as a small feature with some flowers or something in it. The problem is that the edge where the hearth drops down to floor level is quite rough and there is a bit of concrete slab sticking out about an inch. I would like this to be flat and relatively smooth so I can paint over it but I am not sure of the best way to go about it. I have never done anything like this but we've all got to start somewhere right?

I was thinking of using an angle grider to cut back the protruding concrete slab so the edge is flat and and then applying some new concrete to the surface to make it a bit flatter but not sure if this is the bet idea? Also not sure what the best concrete would be to buy for this or exactly how to apply it?

See pictures below:

DUcDa2H.jpg

3HrTtje.jpg

JGdZR8M.jpg

Any advice much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Hammer and chisel and tidy with grinder.Bit of rapid set cement to patch the floor .

Hammer and chisel and tidy with grinder.Bit of rapid set cement to patch the floor .

Hi @foxhole - please could you give me an idea of what rapid set cement to use for this case? I have the same problem. I am beginner-level DIYer, so am still confused on concrete/cement/mortar and their constituents - is there something you can buy 'out of the tin' to do this job repairing the existing floor?
Thank you!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back