Fireplace Hearth regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know if you have a stove inside the recess then it needs to be 125mm of non-combustible material, what about the hearth outside the recess, does that also need to be 125mm if the stove sits in the recess or can that be less? I have widened my opening and the actual recess was built up to about 300mm and level with the outside hearth, it was a mixture of brick and cement and the original hearth was below in the recess. The outside hearth is currently marble sat on quarry tiles with I'm guessing soil under them.

Ideally I want to get rid of the marble and tile straight into the recess with some 20mm thick tiles, but I'm not sure if the outside bit will meet regs with tile on quarry tiles, I mean it's non-conbustable? Bit confusing as if I put the stove outside the recess you can get away with 12mm with some stoves.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back