Suspended 12mm hearth for Solid Fuel Stove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, currently planning to construct a hearth for a solid fuel stove and was initially hoping I'd be able to use a sandstone slab (on steel reinforcement) built up on stones round the sides and back. Here's a photo with a very crude model. The idea would be to use the void below as a wood store.

The slab is a couple of inches thick, so would be fine for a stove not requiring a constructional hearth, however, upon re-reading part J of the building regulations I realised I'd missed a few words the first time:

"2.23 Appliances should stand wholly above:
a. hearths made of non-combustible board/
sheet material or tiles at least 12mm thick, if
the appliance is not to stand in an appliance
recess"

The bit I'm struggling with is "appliance recess". Is my recess, measuring 130cm x 106 x 48 an appliance recess, or is it big enough to still be able to use a 12mm hearth?

One other thing I haven't been able to find an answer to yet is how much of a clearance is required to non-combustible materials above the hearth. I read 1200mm somewhere, but don't see that anywhere in part J and wonder if someone just got their wires crossed, as that seems like a lot- and would mean I couldn't get someone to fit a stove on my raised hearth anyway!

Got an installer coming round next week to have a look, would be great if I knew by then whether or not this idea could still go ahead, as if it can't I can just forget about it and will be able to have the hearth built before he comes round- working against the clock now to get it all done in time for Christmas!

Sponsored Links
Have you considered a stove with a leg kit to raise it off the hearth? You can then store logs under that.

I've recently had one fitted with a 300mm leg kit and it looks great.

Thanks for the suggestion, have thought about that actually and it's a strong contender if I can't do what I want here, I'd just prefer this option because we'd be able to store more logs in it (plus it'd save a bit of money!).

edit: How sturdy are the stoves with leg kits by the way? Haven't seen one in the flesh yet and my only concern was that it looked like quite a high centre of gravity. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back