Making hearth deeper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all. Query as per thread title.
Currently in the process of modifying the hearth in preparation for multi fuel stove by our local HETAS chap who is currently away on hols. Building is 1960's bungalow, chimney breast wholly internal up to eave height, stack is supported across both halves of cavity wall. A full width pre-stressed concrete lintel has been inserted at the front using the usual Acrows and strong arms etc. With the old fire hearth now out and the hearth base being prepared for rebuild we find that the brickwork behind the old fireclay insert steps inwards over several courses by some 4"eventually to form the back of the throat of the flue at new lintel height. At floor level there is no cavity, the bricks are just laid butted against the outer wall and by using a torch and mirror I can see there are no ties inserted as the brickwork steps out. After careful measurement this exposes a potential problem regarding the position of the stove on the hearth and the 6" stove pipe. The rear of the stove will almost be hard up against the back of the hearth for the stove pipe to only just miss the front lintel. There is not enough height to accommodate an offset stovepipe and using the rear outlet on the stove would push it too far out into the room (the main contents of the hearth would be the collector box and the pipe) 85% of the stove would project into the room which would be aesthetically unpleasant to say the least. If I were to insert another full width lintel to support the rear of the flue throat is it permissible to then remove the stepped out brickwork underneath which by then will be performing no apparent function. I'm not looking to make the throat any bigger just gain space below it to be able to maneuver the stove into the best position. It would mean that the exterior wall behind the stove would be single skin, is this permissible ? or should I build it back up in single brick with ties inserted at an angle to effectively make it a 9" solid wall ? First option preferred as it would reduce the gained amount to do it the second way, but it might just be ok. Final finish of the hearth will be cement render. Your thoughts folks, Best regards. Phil.

Attachments

• SAM_0584.JPG
    SAM_0584.JPG
    321.1 KB · Views: 238
  • SAM_0581.JPG
    SAM_0581.JPG
    339.8 KB · Views: 236
  • SAM_0582.JPG
    SAM_0582.JPG
    370.8 KB · Views: 238
  • SAM_0585.JPG
    SAM_0585.JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just in case anyone ever has similar questions I have been able to find that the answers are 1) yes 2) yes and 3) probably the better option and use a 50mm block if things are really tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back