Finishing hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just in the process of pouring concrete to form my new constructional hearth. (See my other post) I will screed the concrete off level with my floorboards (pic shows roughly how it will but will obviously be smoother and level with floor boards) the opening will then be bricked up to form a smaller opening for the Stove to slot into I then plan to lay tiles over the concrete which will raise the height by approx 18mm. The stove is an inset type and my fitter has asked if I can get the base as smooth and flat as possible. I don't want to tile right into the recess so not exactly sure how to finish the recess of the hearth.

Attachments

• IMG_20240116_130847_313.jpg
    IMG_20240116_130847_313.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 19
Sponsored Links
I'm thinking about how you would do this, and was about to explain what to do, but first I must ask, why would you not want to tile the whole hearth?
That's certainly the easiest way to do it.

I'm thinking about how you would do this, and was about to explain what to do, but first I must ask, why would you not want to tile the whole hearth?
That's certainly the easiest way to do it.
Thanks for the reply. Ok so because the Stove is inset type then the tiles will be hidden by the Stove.

I see, sorry I missed that.
Just pour everything at the same level, and tile after the stove is fitted.

If the stove comes down to the floor, then you could sit it on a bit of 12mm hardie board to raise it just above the slab, then tile up to it.

Sponsored Links
I see, sorry I missed that.
Just pour everything at the same level, and tile after the stove is fitted.

If the stove comes down to the floor, then you could sit it on a bit of 12mm hardie board to raise it just above the slab, then tile up to it.
Tiling after fitting will be difficult because it does as you say come right down to floor (hearth) level. Your suggestion to use Hardie was exactly my original plan ie would bed the board on the concrete to finish at the same level as the tiles. I was put off as I started looking at heat ratings for Hardie and most stated 60 to 70 degrees but as this stoves needs a full constructional hearth it is rated as one which heats the hearth to 100 degrees or above so I talked myself out of using Hardie board

Then use the Hardie board, or some 12mm ply, to shutter the front.
Lay concrete to the tiling height. Smooth off, lay some polythene or newspaper, put your 'shutter' board in place, then add the rest of the concrete in the recess, level with the 'shutter' board.
Remove the board once the concrete is stiff but not fully cured.

Top off the concrete with a sharp sand/cement mix, easier to smooth off, add it straight in top of the fresh concrete and it will set as one.

Then use the Hardie board, or some 12mm ply, to shutter the front.
Lay concrete to the tiling height. Smooth off, lay some polythene or newspaper, put your 'shutter' board in place, then add the rest of the concrete in the recess, level with the 'shutter' board.
Remove the board once the concrete is stiff but not fully cured.

Top off the concrete with a sharp sand/cement mix, easier to smooth off, add it straight in top of the fresh concrete and it will set as one.
Thanks again for the reply so basically (if I've read it correctly) your suggestion is to make a stepped hearth which is approx 18mm higher in the recess.tiles would then lay flush upto the higher level in the recess

Yes, work out the thickness of your chosen tile plus adhesive.

To save this hassle, you could just make it one level, then tile the lot, using cheapo/unwanted/damaged tiles the same thickness as your preferred tile.

Yes, work out the thickness of your chosen tile plus adhesive.

To save this hassle, you could just make it one level, then tile the lot, using cheapo/unwanted/damaged tiles the same thickness as your preferred tile.
Yes I had actually also considered that option too with quarry tiles . Also wondered if I could just screed the area with some heat resistant cement type product. I think my main concern with all the options (probably way overthinking it all ) is how whatever I use will stand up to the heat

Worst case would be cracking, but if it's hidden behind a bricked up opening, it won't be seen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back