Constructional Hearth. Hardcore depth & screed finish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
More on my hearth..sorry guys. New Constructional hearth, 1400mm wide by 900mm into recess.
Overall height required from ground up to level with ply floor is 418mm.
I intend to build a block retaining wall and then fill that with the appropriate materials. Can you advise me on the different depths required please for
1/ Hardcore
2/ Sand Blinding to take DPM over.
3/ Concrete MULTI USE READY MIXED
4/ Screed (if recommended) 3:1 sharp/cement?

Obviously I would want as much Hardcore as possible to keep the mixing down on the others...what would my min thickness's be please.

Do I need to finish the hearth with a screed or will straight concrete be ok. The decorative hearth may not be fitted for a while so the constructional hearth will be seen for a while yet. Will the concrete finish look a little crude, or is this down to the aggregate size. If screeded, should it be bonded to the concrete and with what?.
Thank you all for replies guys

Sponsored Links
Do I need to finish the hearth with a screed or will straight concrete be ok.

Sorry OP I don't know the answer, I was searching the answer to a similar question and came across this thread, so if there is anyone that knows the answer, I'd also appreciate a reply.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back