Constructional Hearth..Construction of..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. The picture shows the old hearth which I have now removed and opened up the chimney breast builders opening and am about to put in the constructional Hearth. The bricks you can see at the moment were the existing hearth perimeter and those will go as it needs to extend a little more from the breast. (Not sure yet whether it's easier to create a new shuttering former or lay down some blocks as a retaining wall). I have quite a lot of rubble and brick pieces left over from the opening up...can I crush this up with club hammer and use as the hardcore base...otherwise it's more trips down the dump!

Also, what is the construction procedure as I thought I might as well include a DPM. The overall size of hearth will be 1400mm wide, 900mm out from back of breast and an infill height of 350mm.
I know the concrete hearth has to be 125mm Minimum deep and don't want to mix more than I need to, so can I use the broken up rubble to infill the rest or do I really need a proper Hardcore...type 1?

Do I need a screed finish, and if so how thick...or is that purely aesthetic. i have bags of ready mix general purpose concrete at the moment and was going to us that.

Procedure in layers:...is this correct..say

HARDCORE 195mm
SAND BLINDING 30mm
DPM
CONCRETE 125mm

or should the DPM go down first nearest the ground, then the sand...etc?

Most obliged for your help. View media item 68537

Sponsored Links
dpm usually goes above the hardcore (the sand is to prevent puncturing of the sheet) and then the concrete on top of that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back