CONSTRUCTIONAL HEARTH...Shutter & Concrete or Retaining wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need your advice guys and girls...Rebuilding a new constructional Hearth to regs. Min 500mm out from jambs and extending min 150mm either side of builders opening. This means the hearth will be 1280mm across front with a depth of 880 from front hearth to back wall. All at a depth of 420mm to flush with floorboards. I can see only 2 options, but which one?

A/ Shuttering the area and a full concrete pour...which is a hell of a lot of concrete for little old me.
A1/ As above but include a 100mm layer of Insulation board to reduce pour amount. (this would have to be fitted min of 250mm from top of hearth to comply)

B/ Dig proper foundations and infill concrete to area to build brick retaining wall. This could then be filled with Hardcore, sand, DPM and the remainder concrete to a min depth rqd of 125mm.

The pics show me progressing Option B, a retaining wall using aerated blocks, but not layed on proper foundations, so that's no good for regs I would have thought. Also, I was not convinced about the ruggedness of aerated blocks.

Either are hard work for me as a part time DIYer so I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Ta.

Attachments

• H1.jpg
    H1.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 254
  • H2.jpg
    H2.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 253
  • H3.jpg
    H3.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 364
  • H4.jpg
    H4.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 578
Sponsored Links
I used concrete blocks laid direct to the floor with damp proofing underneath (and everywhere else the new hearth had contact with the existing structure).

Cheers,

Blup

Thanks Blup. Do you mean you used Blocks as a retaining wall or to reduce the depth of a concrete pour inside shuttering?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back