Fireplace Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope this is the right forum to discuss fireplace installs...

I have just opened up a fireplace that has been bricked up (and unvented) for about 60 years. This picture shows the hole that we currently have:

http://www.crazysquirrel.com/images/garrick_house/empty-fireplace-large.jpg

The brick arch above the fire place took some damage when it was bricked up but it seems sound enough. The bricks at the back of the fireplace, I feel, are in a fairly poor state. Repeated fires have left them very powdery. The hearth has completely gone there is just rubble (and a mouse nest) where the hearth stone was.

What I would like to know is where I go from here. I've had someone out to look at the chimney and they recommended lining it which I think is probably wise. He suggested a 6 inch liner as he didn't think a 9 inch would fit although when he actually looked up the chimney he was surprised by how big is was. Would I be right in thinking that you can get 8 inch liners that are suitable for solid fuel fires?

My current problem, however, is what to do about the hearth. As I understand it there are quite a lot of rules and regulations surrounding hearths now.

Where the rubble hearth is at the moment there are brick sleeper walls that hold up joists. I was thinking of digging out the rubble and filling the whole area with concrete to make a fireproof sub-hearth. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Any other advice would be great as well. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
i've not done any solid fuel fires so not 100%.

i would take photo to your local fire shop and get their advice (or contact online suppliers).

i'm not convinced on the need for the liner (they are expensive). on gas fires a smoke test is carried out which checks that no smoke enters the living areas on its way up the chimney and also that it's got the necessary uplift. i believe most liners are sold unnecessarily.

your thoughts on the hearth are spot on.

the only difference to me (from a gas fire) is that u would need to install a fire back (this is a special brick or cast iron back & sides that fit's into the existing brickwork to protect the normal bricks against the heat). the back is fitted using fire rated cement.

i normally get a corgiman in straight away to talk through what's needed but i'm not sure if solid fuel comes under their remit.

Your ideas on the hearth are fine. The liner is a good idea, but you may have to go slightly bigger. try here http://www.fluestore.com/index.php
If your having an open fire thenyou will need a pre cast concrete fire back. You can of course use the cast iron ones.

You could consider a free standing stove in the fireplace recess. You'll still need a constructional hearth, liner, register (closure) plate and stove pipe. The appliance will cost more but it's far more efficient and safer.

Sponsored Links
We looked into stoves over the weekend and I have to admit I was impressed. We didn't think they would fit the look of the house but now we have seen a few we are seriously tempted. The much greater efficiency is certainly a strong incentive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back