Fireplace render??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Not sure if this is in the correct section but it's my first post.

I'm getting a wood burning stove fitted but I'm doing all the prep work first. The old gas fire and back boiler has been removed and the brick work has been took back to leave the old square fireplace.
Now..... I need to render or apply fireboard inside that space to tidy it all up.
What product would be best and where can I get it from.
Thanks in advance for any replies and these are my pics below.

50a2b371.jpg

ebf1da7a.jpg

d29a8066.jpg

Sponsored Links
The fitter will need to be HETAS registered.

I am going through the same project which I haven't yet started, I just need to finalise an issue on which sand to get. There are different ways to go about it, I have chosen to render the recess of my fireplace with hydraulic (or hydrated) lime and sand 1:3 as it is relatively heat resistant (not yet talking by experience but I've heard it from many sources). Also make sure the sides and part of the top of the face of the fireplace (white on you pictures) are not made of gypsum plaster or it will crack and probably fall off. You may hear more from Richard who is quite knowledgeable on the subject and from Stuart45 on lime.

The fitter will need to be HETAS registered.

I am going through the same project which I haven't yet started, I just need to finalise an issue on which sand to get. There are different ways to go about it, I have chosen to render the recess of my fireplace with hydraulic (or hydrated) lime and sand 1:3 as it is relatively heat resistant (not yet talking by experience but I've heard it from many sources). Also make sure the sides and part of the top of the face of the fireplace (white on you pictures) are not made of gypsum plaster or it will crack and probably fall off. You may hear more from Richard who is quite knowledgeable on the subject and from Stuart45 on lime.
Thanks for the reply.
Surely the existing render on the fire place ( white wall part) would be ok as before we had a gas fire fitted 10 year ago there was an original coal fire which never caused any issues to it.
I was also looking at this stuff to line the opening instead of render??
http://shop.vitcas.com/vermiculite-fire-resistant-board-brick-effect-fire-proof-insulation-670-p.asp

Sponsored Links
change of plan..... gonna just tile inside the fireplace area to match the hearth, which will be natural slate or similar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back