fireplace restoration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello forum, i have done a search for a match to this topic but didnt find one (i only flicked thru the 1st few pages of the search so apologies if i have missed it!)

I have removed the gas fire from our dining room (it wasnt connected up anyway) and I have taken the plaster off the walls to (hopefully) reveal a lovely archway. I thought even if theres not an archway there must be a lintle to hold the rest of the chimney up so all i'll have to do is remove the bricks that were added to accomodate the gas fire...

I havnt been so lucky im afraid, there is no archway and no lintle. It doesnt look like i can even remove the added bricks as they seem to be holding the stack up (the two bricks on the uppermost original concourse have sagged slightly as well, the concourse above this, is level however).

I attach a picture for you to see

GALLERY]

Id like to ask ypu some questions if i may.....

1) the fireplace is not symettrical, do you think there ever would have been an archway here? Or do you think it would have had a lintle

2)To remove the 'rough' looking set of bricks in the middle would be a biig job as id have to support the stack, rebuild bits and add a new lintle. Am i correct in saying this?

3) if i am correct in my question above then i would also assume its gonna cost me a load of cash? How much chaps? Break it to me....

Thanks for your time, appreciate it
andy

Sponsored Links
2... no it was built like that and infilled after :idea: look @ the different coloured bricks/mortar. If that aint self supporting when you pull out that infill, I`ll heat my `at . Looks like a 60`s house :?: PS it`s a *Course* of bricks...or several thousand if you`re like Fred Dibnah ;)

well my poor technical language may have been the reason for the lack of replies, people thought (correctly) that im a bumbling office worker gone mad with a hammer :LOL:

house is 30s build. I know the bricks in the middle are different and were added afterwards but it seems to me that the bricks that are there are replacements fo bricks that have been taken out (1 on the top course, 2 on the second etc) but there must have been something at some point that holds the whole thing up, thats why i was expecting to find a lintel behind the plaster :confused:

ive thought of a plan anyway tell me what you think of this, gonna get an oak beam 2 brick height and 2 brick wide to set in as a lintel/mantlepiece. Dont think ive got the skills for this job tho, gonna get a qualified friend in! how do you support the sides whilst removing bricks to slide the lintel in?

thanks for the reply btw!

Sponsored Links
rite still havnt got round to doing this....i have got (and prepared) the oak beam which is a fair old chunk of wood (1060mmx180x225) and it looks the dogs.

I have built some bricks out to act as a small corbel for some of the weight of the oak to sit on and im now ready to get strongboys to prop it all up whilst I insert

One question - with the strongboys in place they are in the way of the lintel, will it be ok just to remove one whilst I place the oak in, then resupport it?

The missus is also about to drop and if she does i can see my time being taken up and this job being put on hold again.....how much would a handy fella charge me to do the job for me? just a rough estimate

ta

I seriously wouldn't get to tied up with the props and strong boys. If you are using them then that's good for piece of mind but don't stress too about taking one in and out to install as a chimney brest like yours is largely self supporting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back