Concrete Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My wife and I have just bought an ex council property, my question is this.

We are looking to knock complete a utility that the previous owners started out of the former outhouse at the back of the house.

They have knocked the two dividing walls out to make one large room placing a large lintle with on the one where they have removed the wall totally and a smaller lintle on the one where they have made a door sized archway.

We would like to make both walls the same size by removing the smaller lintle and possibly replacing it with a lintle the same size as the other one a removing the rest of that wall.

Would this be sufficient with it being a concrete ceiling? We have had some discussion that it may not even need a lintle because the ceiling may be self supporting however I won't attempt this for the sake of a 30quid lintle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No, it's just something we were looking to do off our own backs with people who know a bit more than us.

Although I am obviously trying to do as much research as I can before we do anything.

The room is about 12ft long by 5ft wide and the wall we are looking to remove is single brick wall which has an archway in it with suuporting over head lintle which measures 600mm x 100mm x 100mm.

The concrete ceiling covers our side but also our neighbours side roughly 10ft x 12ft total and about 6" thick with a central (supporting I'm assuming) brick wall which forms the back of our utility, the outer walls to the utility are all single brick.

Sorry but your description is pretty rough, can you take some photos and post them? maybe even a diagram.
If in any doubt assume its a load bearing line and support it accordingly.

Sponsored Links
Good enough :)

So the plan is to remove the central wall which already has a doorway and possition a new larger concrete lintel at high level above to support the roof? Or remove existing both walls?

Are each of the rooms 12x5ft? or outhouse total?

Hopefully you are on very good terms with your neighbour as putting a lintel on the party wall means you should technically have a party wall award in place.

So the plan is to remove the central wall which already has a doorway and possition a new larger concrete lintel at high level above to support the roof? Or remove existing both walls?

Thats right, it's to support the roof, we'll be removing the central wall with a door way and the a small section of the wall nearest the house to open it up to the new back door which goes into the passgae. It will be an RSJ that we'll be using to support it not a concrete lintel, sorry.

Are each of the rooms 12x5ft? or outhouse total?

Our side is 12ft x 5ft total and our neighbours is 12ft x 5ft total so the outhouse building is around 10ft by 12ft total.

Hopefully you are on very good terms with your neighbour as putting a lintel on the party wall means you should technically have a party wall award in place.

We are planning to put a plate on the dividing wall to support the RSJ so would this still count? It will be exactly the same as the RSJ setup on the wall that has already gone. (thick mode on) Also can you tell me what a party wall award is please? (thick mode off)

Thanks

Ok, so your removing just one internal wall, you are also adding a new doorway. Yes you can use an RSJ (or UB), but it should be hot dip galvanised, and yes it can bear onto spreader plates at both ends as the loading on it will be relatively low. I would consider a concrete lintel as an alternative as it will work out alot cheaper.

A party wall award is a written agreement involving your neighbour allowing you to carry out structural works on or close to the party wall line.

Would I still need the party wall award using the spreader plates? Also is it a legal requirement or is it just a good will thing?

Sorry to be a pain, I obviously want to do it right but with the minimum level of disruption to both the neighbours and us.

Thanks for the advice it's been a great help.

Hmm, well not sure where the law applies in relation to non habitable area (ie outhouses). Just worth getting something in writting anyways and explaining what you intend to do to your neighbour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back