Fireplace tiling expansion gaps??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

I have just tiled the chamber and face of my fireplace in preparation for a new stove. I used a hardiebacker cement board as a tiling base, this was dot & dab’d using heat resistant adhesive and then drilled and screwed at various intervals to the brick base. I then laid a sandstone hearth, again using appropriate heat resistant adhesive and grouted around the edges and between the slabs.

I then tiled the back, sides and faces of the chimney breast, leaving gaps between the bottom tile and the hearth and between each tile plain i.e the face, sides and back.

My query is, should I grout all of the joints or leave some gaps un-grouted to allow for expansion?

Attachments

• IMG_4087.jpeg
    IMG_4087.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
I'm not 100% sure, but there might be tile adhesive and grout for aga areas. So I imagine you need to use adhesives and grouts for high temp areas.

And all grouted, no gaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back