First fixing new build in copper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If first fixing a new build in copper so notching the joists. Is it usual to run the cold hot and heating pipes in the same notch?

Sponsored Links
You wouldnt just do one long notch to put all four pipes in then, guessing because of heat transfer

Sponsored Links
And, depending on the depth, length and position of the notch, you might weaken the joist

If first fixing a new build in copper so notching the joists. Is it usual to run the cold hot and heating pipes in the same notch?

Plenty of houses have the hot & cold running through the same notch. I see it all the time. And as far as I can remember they haven't fallen down. :ROFLMAO:

Is this something you plan on doing or something that's been done to you?

Its one iv got to do is standard joists, so you wodnt do one big notch and run the heating a hot and cold pipes in this , will be within the span were you can notch

I don't do new build.

I take it its sheet material going over the top ? If so I can't see why it would make a difference. If it was boards you would run heating under centre of one board and H/C under another to allow fixing of boards either side of pipes.

On ground floor I would clip to under side of joists with a spacer and then lag ( clip in between each clip to allow space for lagging )

Space them out and put a pad of hair felt lagging under each pipe where it crosses every joist - hot or cold. I did new build when I was an apprentice - what we did was mock up airing cupboard size with some batten and place it on the joists, can do the same with bathroom etc. then walk about on odd scaffold boards. No cushions on the ground floor if you fell through- concentrates the mind.

Last edited:
Yes its sheet floorboards going over the top. Sure I have seen it were they have done one notch and had all four pipes in this. Would you recommend against this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back