First Ross & Brand and now....should Clarkson be sacked?

Should Jeremy Clarkson be sacked?

• Yes he's a complete knob!

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • No I think he's great!

Votes: 36 78.3%
  • Jeremy Who?

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from Joe's thread... Should Brand and Woss be sacked?

What about Jeremy Clarkson then, should he be sacked?

My opinion is that I don't find the comments particularly offensive. Clarkson himself however, I do find offensive... to the eye mainly!!!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20081103/ten-clarkson-comments-spark-controversy-5f8abb3.html

Clarkson comments spark controversy

Jeremy Clarkson has sparked fresh BBC controversy by joking about murdering prostitutes.

The Top Gear presenter, 48, made the quip about lorry drivers killing sex workers on Sunday night's BBC Two show.

As he completed a lorry-driving task, he said: "This is a hard job and I'm not just saying that to win favour with lorry drivers, it's a hard job. Change gear, change gear, change gear, check mirror, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day."

His comments come after serial killer Steve Wright was convicted in February of murdering five prostitutes in Ipswich.

Wright was a former lorry driver, as well as pub landlord and forklift truck driver.

Clarkson's joke, made before the watershed, sparked 188 complaints to the BBC, out of what the Corporation said was seven million viewers.

The Iceni Project, a charity which had helped some of the murdered prostitutes in Ipswich, criticised the remark. The group's director Brian Tobin said: "I just think it was highly distasteful and insensitive. Maybe people on the BBC should think a bit more before saying some of the things they keep coming out with.

"It is around the time of the anniversary of the girls' (Ipswich prostitutes) deaths and it's a very delicate time. I saw it on Top Gear. It made me cringe."

Broadcasting watchdog Ofcom said it had been contacted by viewers angry at the remarks. A spokesman said: "Ofcom has received complaints regarding Top Gear. These complaints are currently being assessed against the Broadcasting Code. All UK broadcasters must adhere to Ofcom's Broadcasting Code which sets standards for the content of television and radio broadcasting."

A BBC spokeswoman said: "The vast majority of Top Gear viewers have clear expectations of Jeremy Clarkson's long-established and frequently provocative on-screen persona. This particular reference was used to comically exaggerate and make ridiculous an unfair urban myth about the world of lorry driving, and was not intended to cause offence."
Oh really? I didn't hear any of those sorts of comments when Ross and Brand's piece hit the headlines. Perhaps you've had time to think of a few excuses?!

Sponsored Links
It might be offensive and on telly too early but it's quite funny.

I think he's funny, and being a HUGE fan of Topgear, possibly couldn't have a bad word to say about him!

well its all gone too far, everybody seems to losing their sense of humour, totally different to the ross brand as theirs was a very personal attack.
I've not laughed as much especially when they were driving the trucks trying to tail slide and when captain slow passed clarkson

time for everyone to stop jumping on the band wagon, if you don't like something then don't watch it or listen to it, no to tricky me thinks

Sponsored Links
Oh really? I didn't hear any of those sorts of comments when Ross and Brand's piece hit the headlines. Perhaps you've had time to think of a few excuses?!

so the ages old joke of lorry drivers being serial murderers in a generally derogative sense is now on a par with a direct attack on a mans granddaughter being sexually promiscuous, which by all accounts she is and is milking it for all she is worth.

if you dont like clarkson because he is a **** just say so, dont hide your beliefs behind poorly cobbled and incorrect comparisons. :rolleyes:

All I can say is ROFL at his comments. Hillarious.

so the ages old joke of lorry drivers being serial murderers in a generally derogative sense is now on a par with a direct attack on a mans granddaughter being sexually promiscuous, which by all accounts she is and is milking it for all she is worth.
My closing comment was aimed at the BBC who suddenly seem to have found a voice and are responding to complaints made against their presenters.

if you dont like clarkson because he is a **** just say so, dont hide your beliefs behind poorly cobbled and incorrect comparisons. :rolleyes:
Perhaps you require more of a clue than...
My opinion is that I don't find the comments particularly offensive. Clarkson himself however, I do find offensive... to the eye mainly!!!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I think the average three year old would be able to deduce from that statement that I do not like Clarkson.

Now you run along nickso and tell mummy a bigger boy told you off. :evil:

Just for your info nickso, I posted this in Joe's original thread regarding Ross & Brand. I think you will see, I am in agreement with you regarding Sachs Grand Daughter.

Just goes to show, Brand's not telling porkies when he says he'll s**g anything.... She really is a Horrendous Looking Pig!

She appears on or in most of the comics on the news stands today and no doubt we'll be subjected to seeing her on the tele every 5 minutes after this! She'll be on every 'I'm a celebrity.....', oh wait a minute, she's too famous for those isn't she? :rolleyes: I'm fed up with her already!

My closing comment was aimed at the BBC who suddenly seem to have found a voice and are responding to complaints made against their presenters.

No they are making their standard statement for clarkson and his fairly predictable antics, im sure if you searched you would find that apology used on many occasions.

188 complaints Vs 30.000+. wow the populace really has it in for him this time :rolleyes: the ducks back has never been so wet.

i did see your dislike for clarkson but it still has no bearing on your incorrect comparison between the two stories which have as much to do with each other as tony glazier and foxy women.

i couldnt give a purple toss if you are in agreement with me on any matter.

no they are making their standard statement for clarkson and his fairly predictable antics, im sure if you searched you would find that apology used on many occasions. 188 complaints Vs 30.000+.
Fair enough.

i did see your dislike for clarkson...
OH so you did see that I have a dislike of Clarkson. So why make the comment...
if you dont like clarkson... just say so, dont hide your beliefs behind poorly cobbled and incorrect comparisons. :rolleyes:
:?:

...but it still has no bearing on your incorrect comparison between the two stories which have as much to do with each other as tony glazier and foxy women.
If it looked as though I was trying to 'compare' the two stories then let me put it straight right now, I was NOT trying to compare the two I was merely continuing what seems to be a 'theme' at the minute of 'BBC Presenter Bashing'.

which have as much to do with each other as tony glazier and foxy women.
That was funny I'll give you that. :D Although some foxy women are quite agile!

i couldnt give a purple toss if you are in agreement with me on any matter.
Ditto... what's a 'purple' one by the way? :D

Jeremy Clarkson makes mistakes, but that just goes with the territory. Nobody else can currently match his blend of wit, satire and irony.

He's a modern-day Alf Garnet, which is a role that will always court controversy, but it's an essential ingredient in the national media.

And don't forget, this is just a public persona, his USP if you like. He is a guy who, along with his wife, does an awful lot for Help 4 Heroes, the services charidee.

If Jezza was in charge, a few feathers might well be ruffled, but we would certainly not be taken for the fools that those currently in Westminster undoubtedly take us for.

Top bloke, nuff said.

Jeremy Clarkson makes mistakes, but that just goes with the territory. Nobody else can currently match his blend of wit, satire and irony.

He's a modern-day Alf Garnet, which is a role that will always court controversy, but it's an essential ingredient in the national media.
And don't forget, this is just a public persona, his USP if you like. He is a guy who, along with his wife, does an awful lot for Help 4 Heroes, the services charidee.

If Jezza was in charge, a few feathers might well be ruffled
Yep couldn't agree more.

As I have already stated, I really don't have a problem with what he said. I don't have a problem with the Ross/Brand thing by the way, (not that I'm comparing the two incidents ;) :D ).

I think the Alf Garnet comparison is a very good example Softus. I thought/think Alf Garnet was hilarious. No doubt there were those that thought Warren Mitchell was 'for real' with Alf but then there are people who think Clarkson is Great. :eek: :D I still don't like him. :D

I can see where this current round of witch trials will end...Titchmarsh will be the only presenter left on BBC TV and Radio!

Consider yourself warned :eek:

The difference is this:

People do tune in to Top Gear expecting this sort of thing.
People don't tune in to Radio 2 expecting that sort of thing. (However I'd imagine it would go down quite well on Radio 4 on certain programmes!)

Would people buy Viz comic and then complain it's got crude jokes? Viz has been making the same joke about lorry drivers for a good many years.

What next, will someone buy a bongo mag at lunchtime and then complain they can see nudey ladies before the watershed? :rolleyes:

What next, will someone buy a bongo mag at lunchtime and then complain they can see nudey ladies before the watershed? :rolleyes:
AT LUNCH TIME!!! For goodness sake can't people wait till Tea time anymore like I do? :D

Sponsored Links
Back